Chevy Equinox EV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where will you charge your Chevy Equinox during a long road trip? Unlike the GM/Pilot partnership, I suspect many gas station owners have yet to think about this charge in driver demand.

As EV market share grows, the need to visit a gas station declines. That means less fuel and convenience store items sold. As a result, Boston Consulting Group analysts are projecting up to 80 percent of the retail gas station market could be unprofitable by 2035. By then GM, Volvo and others are saying they will be only or predominantly making EV's.

If these forecasts play out, gas stations that often live on thin margins will see a increasing large drop in customers. Some are trying to get ahead of the curve, but who wants to sit at a typical gas station for a half hour or more? And the tens of thousands of dollars for installing one level 3 DC charging station can be a major obstacle for these often small businesses.

Plus, EV charging stations don't require underground tanks and related equipment, they just need electricity. That opens up charging service opportunities at malls, restaurants, stores, coffee shops, etc. Office garages, rest stops, and soon some Starbucks parking lots are starting to experiment.

What do you do when there are no longer horses for your horse stable business?

gas stations already face intense competition from other public EV chargers. Data collected by the Department of Energy shows that, of the public charger locations the agency fully tracks, there are currently more public chargers located at hotels and inns, shopping centers, and government buildings than there are at gas stations and convenience stores.
But perhaps the biggest obstacle facing gas stations: Charging an electric vehicle is often as simple as parking it. Many EV owners buy chargers that plug into a standard home wall outlet just like their laptop or phone, and that virtually eliminates the need for frequent refueling trips.
Meanwhile, companies like Tesla, VW's Electrify America, Rivian and others are looking at or developing charging locations that incorporate a lounge, an espresso bar, free wifi, food, etc.

In response, gas station groups are spending money on politicians to enact laws that prevent the new competition where possible. Reminds me of the auto dealers association (aka "cartel") efforts to keep Tesla from selling cars without using a dealer.

Automotive parking light Sky Car Property Cloud

·
Registered
146 Posts
I think it will be a good business opportunity, but charging speeds will be much quicker in five years and ten years, so time eventually at any of these “lounges, cafe’s, will be about the same as filling up currently with gas.

·
Administrator
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it will be a good business opportunity, but charging speeds will be much quicker in five years and ten years, so time eventually at any of these “lounges, cafe’s, will be about the same as filling up currently with gas.
I hope you are right. Recharge time is one of the concerns for those who like taking very long road trips. We took the Bolt to Iowa and stopped at Tuggers restuarant along the Mississippi border for a leasurely lunch because there was a charging station in the public parking lot. We ate and watched the river while the car charged. Much better than sitting in a parking lot or gas station while we waited.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts