Chevy Equinox EV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No doubt everyone’s situation lays out their best course of action. For me, my panel is full so installing a subpanel is required. Plus the charger would be outdoors and the expense associated with that. So looking at $2000 or there about. If the Equinox will do V2X I would consider one of the soon to come to market products that provide that capability as well as charge the vehicle.

·
Administrator
277 Posts
If the Equinox will do V2X I would consider one of the soon to come to market products that provide that capability as well as charge the vehicle.
Nothing in the current trim specs mentions V2X. Perhaps an OnStar upgrade will become available? Or maybe there will be more details released second quarter 2023.

What do you see as the benefit for charging, dayroge?

V2x (Vehicle-to-everything)
Vehicle-to-everything is communication between a vehicle and any entity that may affect, or may be affected by, the vehicle. It is a vehicular communication system that incorporates other more specific types of communication as V2I, V2N, V2V, V2P, V2D.Wikipedia

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing in the current trim specs mentions V2X. Perhaps an OnStar upgrade will become available? Or maybe there will be more details released second quarter 2023.

What do you see as the benefit for charging, dayroge?

V2x (Vehicle-to-everything)
Vehicle-to-everything is communication between a vehicle and any entity that may affect, or may be affected by, the vehicle. It is a vehicular communication system that incorporates other more specific types of communication as V2I, V2N, V2V, V2P, V2D.Wikipedia
If you are asking why I would like V2X/V2H capabilities it because of the power available to the home during a power loss. If I can keep my home power for 3-4 days that covers 99.9% of my concerns at a cost of about a third of a power wall. As far as actual vehicle charging no different from any good level 2 charger.

·
Registered
146 Posts
On the Ioniq 5 they call it V2L. It is pretty cool. I have not seen it as an option on the Equinox EV either, but if in the final configuration if it is an option, I will take it. Not so much to power my house as I have a generator for that, but for power in a remote location.

·
Administrator
277 Posts
OK, thanks dayrogue. I did see that article not long ago. Good to see GM is not ignoring the possibilities. V2L as Mapleev said or V2H is what you are looking for. That's why I asked about the intended use. Whether we will see V2L or V2H as a Chevy Equinox EV option by 2024 remains to be seen, but I too would be interested. GM said "eventually" so anyone's guess as to when that might be available and at what cost.

There are a LOT of "V2-somethings" being discussed:
  1. Vehicle-to-Home (V2H) - using batteries in electric cars and trucks as a power source for a home during a blackout, loss of grid power. Car must support bi-directional charging.
  2. Vehicle-to-Load (V2L) - using batteries in electric cars and trucks as a power source for a home during a blackout, loss of grid power. Car does not need bi-directional charging. Instead, the car has 120V outlets you plug your home appliances into.
  3. Vehicle-to-Grid (V2G) - still being developed but centers around the idea of using batteries in electric cars and trucks as a power source in the electrical grid based on real-time demands for power. Car must support bi-directional charging.
  4. Vehicle-to-Network (V2N) - enables vehicle-to-vehicle communication over wireless networks, such as LTE.
  5. Vehicle-to-Infrastructure (V2I) - captures data such as traffic congestion, weather advisories, bridge clearance levels, traffic light status, and then wirelessly transmits it to inform drivers of conditions they need to be aware of which aids in safety. Smart traffic signals powered by V2I help drivers understand traffic conditions better, helping to estimate accurate arrival times which can improve communication between drivers and customers.
  6. Vehicle-to-Everything (V2X) - encompasses both V2V and V2I technology.
  7. Brain-to-Vehicle (B2V) - introduced by Nissan that connects a driver’s brain with their automobile; not currently in use. This technology could radically change the future of driving and safety altogether

·
Registered
3 Posts
The new equinox better have V2l available in all models or it will be dated before it's introduced. Everybody has power outages and everybody has fridges and freezers with hundreds of dollars of food at risk.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The new equinox better have V2l available in all models or it will be dated before it's introduced. Everybody has power outages and everybody has fridges and freezers with hundreds of dollars of food at risk.
Is that going to be a dealbreaker if the Equinox doesn't have it? So far GM has been tightlipped on if it'll have outlets for V2L. The Silverado EV has it so it's definitely possible.

The most we've gotten is from this Forbes article back in September.

A new feature that GM is discussing for the first time in the context of the Equinox EV is vehicle to load (V2L) capability. The top 3RS trim level will be available with an optional 19.2-kW bidirectional on-board charger. With an 80-amp wall charger at home, this one can add 51 miles of charge per hour. However, it will also be able to put out up to 3kW of power for other devices. For now Chevrolet isn’t providing any other details such as if an adapter with an AC outlet will be required similar to the V2L system offered by Hyundai and Kia. While GM officials declined to confirm if this capability will be available on its other EVs, it seems likely that at least those with the 19.2-kW charger will be able to provide power.

·
Administrator
277 Posts
Everybody has power outages and everybody has fridges and freezers with hundreds of dollars of food at risk.
That's why I have an emergency power generator ($350, Home Depot). Plugging into a car would be easier, but my generator has four 120v outlets and one 240. Even if a car has V2L or V2H, I suspect many will be one outlet. Unless we are talking about a work truck the Silverado EV.

You'd need Chevy Equinox EV 3RS eAWD trim level to get the optional 19.2 kW capability. That means more $ PLUS the cost of a dedicated 100A circuit and the cost of an 80A EVSE. Yikes. Many older homes only have a 100A service. Even newer, 200A service panels would be an issue as you are effectively reducing it to a 100A by taking 100A for the EVSE circuit. Neither of these scenarios are practical. So that means a new power line from the utility to the garage to supply say, a 100A panel. Plus permitting, inspection, etc. After all that, what, extension cords running from the garage to your house refrigerator?

I'm not an electrician, so perhaps I'm missing something. I know emergency nat gas-powered units like Generac simply kick on when the power goes off whether you are home or not. They feed to whole house. No extra power line from the electric company needed. They do use a device that prevents backfeeding the incoming utility power line (very dangerous). I suspect the cost all in would be less than buying a car trim level I don't want in order to buy an optional HD EVSE charging capability, etc., etc. in order to get V2H.

And what if you or your car is not home when the power goes out?

I really like the idea of using the car to power something. What others have done is to install an inverter capability on their Volts that functions in a similar way. See Inverter Kits now Available!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I like the idea if any EV can provide power to power like a small appliance, but it is not important to me if it can power my house.

i too have a generator and a Generlink that allows me to direct the energy from my generator into the meter and it then powers almost everything in my house, bunkie ( sleeping cabin ), garage, shed and maple gazebo.

I can understand how people who do not have generators would love to be able to take power from a vehicle to let’s say power the fridge and a couple of lights during an outage.

Providing power back to the grid is an interesting concept, but not one that will happen in my rural community anytime soon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts