Chevy Equinox EV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
I currently have a Fisker Ocean Sport on order ($37,500 base). I placed my reservation last Jan. and converted to a non refundable order ($250) prior to the new law bring signed. What I liked about the Ocean was the exterior design, FWD, LFP batteries (250 mile range) and advanced safety features. Just this week the top of the line Ocean One has started rolling off the Magna assembly line in Austria and the new configuator with with pricing and more details on standard equipment on the trim levels became active. What has come to light recently and given me pause is that the Sport will be the only trim not equipped with a heat pump and currently not an option. The interior is a black cloth with a black faux leather option. I have never been a fan of black interiors (current BMW tan leather). Priced out with a few options at $44,000 and expected delivery is late fall '23 or early winter. Thus a month or so ago the Equinox caught my eye. I would pass on the RT and wait for the 2LT or 3LT spring '24. Daily driving range is right where the Ocean Sport is and the interior is much more to my liking. Standard safety features are about the same with a nudge to the Ocean. The advanced Ocean driving/safety package is $5000 (I passed). So as the reviewers get their hands on these two EVs I will be watching closely. But I am surprised how much I am liking what I am seeing from Chevy.

The 2LT seems like the worst deal, you pay to get the privilege to open the option list, but need to pay for each of these options separately as well. It's either the LT1 or the LT3 for me.

·
Registered
145 Posts
2LT gets a lot more standard equipment than the 1LT... it isn't just opening up the options list. However, it will be very dependent on how GM prices these vehicles.
Nope. Only the extended range, light bar, and roof rails. Other than these, you now get options to PAY EXTRA FOR on top of the LT2 price, which you don't get with the LT1 (presence-based liftgate, sunroof, dual-color paint, interior color scheme, 17" infotainment, adaptive cruise, surround vision, and supercruise). Chevy already released a statement saying the driver's electric adjustable seat is standard on all models...But other than that correction, this attached document sums it up.

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
Some see sunshine. Other only see and fear shadows.

You have your own narrative going, but I'm not sure what it is other than anti-GM. First it was GM did something bad by announcing a car for next year because some people need a car like, right now (huh?). Now GM is lying about a late 2023 rollout, and lying about the price, and there will be plagues and bats and doom oh my! OK, we have been warned.

Maybe all those bad things will happen, but I suspect not. Pricing is still uncertain. Will the $30 base LT turn out to be $38? Or $35k? or $33k? I don't know. The future can be tricky.
I can't think of a delayed GM rollout.

·
Administrator
318 Posts
I can't think of a delayed GM rollout.
Me either. It will likely be a small number of vehicles as it was with the Volt, Bolt EV, Hummer EV, Lyriq EV. GM is not known for missing it's rollout. As production ramps up, more deliveries occur the following Q!, Q2, Q3, etc. Wall street would punish GM if they materially missed or delayed the new EV rollouts especially after GM's very bullish statements on the company's transition to EV's. There is a LOT riding on the new models being a success, including being delivered on time.

GM does give itself some wiggle room by not specifying a date this far out, but they are saying late 2023. My guess, December 2023.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Me either. It will likely be a small number of vehicles as it was with the Volt, Bolt EV, Hummer EV, and Lyriq EV. GM is not known for missing its rollout. As production ramps up, more deliveries occur the following Q1, Q2, Q3, etc. Wall Street would punish GM if they materially missed or delayed the new EV rollouts, especially after GM's very bullish statements on the company's transition to EVs. There is a LOT riding on the new models being a success, including being delivered on time.

GM does give itself some wiggle room by not specifying a date this far out, but they are saying late 2023. My guess is December 2023.
I would imagine by the time I attend the NY Autoshow in April 2023, there should at least be some early final production example to sit in. Technically I can travel to Philly to just see it in person and get an idea of the size. If it leaves me with a positive impression I will install a charger in my garage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
So many questions - with dates so far off. Will the EV you like that might be delivered in two year even be at auto shows in 2022 or early 2023? If at auto show can you at least sit inside the EV you hope to get in two years? Or will it be roped off like you're about to watch a boxing match? Will all EV makers push their top line EV's first and make their base priced EV's last to be produced/delivered? With such long delivery times just think of all the other new EV's that haven't hit the market over the next two years, while your waiting for your Equinox EV. Certainly patience is going to be the order of the day, the month and most likely years. But rest assured by the time the lower priced Equinox EV's start delivery, your wife, kids and dog are going to look a lot older.

·
Registered
145 Posts
So may questions - with dates so far off. Will the EV you like that might be delivered in two year even be at auto shows in 2022 or early 2023? If at auto show can you at least sit inside the EV you hope to get in two years? Or will it be roped off like you're about to watch a boxing match? Will all EV makers push their top line EV's first and make their base priced EV's last to be produced/delivered? With such long delivery times just think of all the other new EV's that haven't hit the market over the next two years, while your waiting for your Equinox EV. Certainly patience is going to be the order of the day, the month and most likely years. But rest assured by the time the lower priced Equinox EV's start delivery, your wife, kids and dog are going to look a lot older.

If something better comes along while I wait, I'll take it instead. It's only $100 to reserve... So I'm not in it for a lot.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I would imagine by the time I attend the NY Autoshow in April 2023, there should at least be some early final production example to sit in. Technically I can travel to Philly to just see it in person and get an idea of the size. If it leaves me with a positive impression I will install a charger in my garage.
Although unlikely, there might be some incentives from GM regarding installation of Level 2 chargers.
i have everything planned out where and how I will install my charger, and have an idea of which charger I like now, but that might be different a year or two from now.

Before I do anything, I want to find out if there are any GM incentives and I want to find out more about the GM Ultium Chargers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I checked with my local Chevrolet dealer and he said that all orders will be processed at the dealership level and not online directly with Chevy. He also told me that there is no process yet rolled out for the dealerships to follow for reservations and they will not be taking deposits at this time.

I’ll continue to wait… impatiently.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I checked with my local Chevrolet dealer and he said that all orders will be processed at the dealership level and not online directly with Chevy. He also told me that there is no process yet rolled out for the dealerships to follow for reservations and they will not be taking deposits at this time.

My dealer did take my deposit. I think what might be confusing is the word reservation, as opposed to being on the dealer’s waiting list. I think reservation is something that GM has, as you can make a reservation for a 2024 Lyric and at one time for the Blazer EV. That is essentially a GM waiting list.

I think some dealers are taking “reservations” for their own dealer allotment waiting list. That is what my dealer has done. I am on their dealer waiting list for the Equinox EV. I think i am #5 on their list so if they are allotted 10 vehicles, i will get one. I am on GM’s reservation list for the Blazer, but I will not be buying one, now that I know more about the Equinox.

·
Registered
145 Posts

It's not a reservation, but a "wait-list seat", meaning, there's no actual vehicle under your name anywhere. No trim level, no accessories, nothing. I paid to be on a "call list". It means that if I don't answer, they move on to the next person. It's not like a reservation, where they actually allocate a vehicle for you.

The only thing it does is saves me the time and effort to keep tabs on when an actual reservation will be available and try and beat people to it. It's a "pre-reservation" list.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Deposit, reservation, pre-reservation, car order. This is really getting complicated. In the old days I assume "the buying public" would wait for a car manufacturer to come out publicly and say 'such and such car "is now under production and interested parties can contact their local dealership to place an order". Then I assume at some point dealerships started offering pre-orders for buyers who wanted first dibs on this or that new car. I guess my question is what kind of jump do dealership's have in notifying potential car buyers, versus someone just waiting for GM to come out and says the Equinox EV is now available for purchase. I don't know if pent up demand for some of these EV's is due to limited production, chip issues, chain supply problems or mass hysteria. Maybe all the above, but one has to wonder if he or she will get a fair price offer on what ever car is coming out, by trying to be first in line to buy. Just saying there are dealerships that jack up the cost of a car way beyond the sticker price. So if I'm a dealer selling GM cars and all of a sudden I get lots and lot of Eqinox EV deposits, or reservations, or pre-reservations, or most likely car orders and seeing this mad rush by hopeful buyers, why wouldn't I jack up car extras/prices to get EV selling price way above MSRP. Ford had this problem with a few of their early EV models, where Ford had to threaten Ford dealership will possible termination if a dealer marked up the price of a Ford vehicle well beyond the sticker price. So I'm all for getting in line to get a new EV especially if the wait is long but if everyone wants to rush to a dealer and say "put me on your waiting list" for what ever - don't be surprised if that dealer you contacted for future EV purchase attempts to increase the cost of that EV you've been waiting for month in month out. Unless someone here can tell me when you actually place an order and write a deposit check, the MSRP can't change and is locked in stone.

·
Administrator
318 Posts
Stay simple, you can still choose to live like it's 1950 before the internet or computers or any of the other changes to have happened in the past 70-80 years. No one's forcing you to do anything. Just wait until you see a test drive car sitting on the lot in 2024. Breath in, hold it, now breath out all your pre-production and pre-order deposit anxiety. Let it go. Come back in 2024.

A deposit does not lock you in to buying a car at whatever the dealer wants to charge. It's an expression of interest. "When you are ready. let's talk, I'm interested." If the dealer wants to play games, you walk. You can bail and get your money back for any reason, including "I've changed my mind, don't like the color choices" or whatever.

·
Registered
20 Posts
As my Chevy dealer would not take a deposit from me, it makes me wonder why another dealer would be willing to accept $100 from an interested potential buyer if all it does is ensures the potential buyer gets a phone call from the dealer in a year from now.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Deposit, reservation, pre-reservation, car order. This is really getting complicated. In the old days I assume "the buying public" would wait for a car manufacturer to come out publicly and say 'such and such car "is now under production and interested parties can contact their local dealership to place an order". Then I assume at some point dealerships started offering pre-orders for buyers who wanted first dibs on this or that new car. I guess my question is what kind of jump do dealership's have in notifying potential car buyers, versus someone just waiting for GM to come out and says the Equinox EV is now available for purchase. I don't know if pent up demand for some of these EV's is due to limited production, chip issues, chain supply problems or mass hysteria. Maybe all the above, but one has to wonder if he or she will get a fair price offer on what ever car is coming out, by trying to be first in line to buy. Just saying there are dealerships that jack up the cost of a car way beyond the sticker price. So if I'm a dealer selling GM cars and all of a sudden I get lots and lot of Eqinox EV deposits, or reservations, or pre-reservations, or most likely car orders and seeing this mad rush by hopeful buyers, why wouldn't I jack up car extras/prices to get EV selling price way above MSRP. Ford had this problem with a few of their early EV models, where Ford had to threaten Ford dealership will possible termination if a dealer marked up the price of a Ford vehicle well beyond the sticker price. So I'm all for getting in line to get a new EV especially if the wait is long but if everyone wants to rush to a dealer and say "put me on your waiting list" for what ever - don't be surprised if that dealer you contacted for future EV purchase attempts to increase the cost of that EV you've been waiting for month in month out. Unless someone here can tell me when you actually place an order and write a deposit check, the MSRP can't change and is locked in stone.

All of the above. You listed the exact set of reasons that led to this mess. So I can either play that game, or have no car for another 5 years

I'm not worried about the price being jacked up, because Quebec laws are very strict about that. If the LT2\LT3 (which weren't priced yet) will be to big of a jump up, I'll get the LT1 for 37.5K CAD with my 13K rebate, and end up winning anyway. The rest of the options are a "nice to have", not a necessity. I already priced what each option is worth for me, so if the LT3 with AWD is more than 49K, I'm getting the LT1 AWD. If AWD is more than 4K extra, I'm taking the LT1 FWD.

The wait-list deposit is refundable... And even if it isn't, it's $100... So I'm not going to cry over $100 every 10 years (which is approximately the length of time I keep my car for)

·
Registered
184 Posts
I agree that it is just $100, which is refundable.

I think being on the dealers list is more than a phone call. They have my email address as well and I feel confident they will make a genuine effort to contact me when my turn comes up,

·
Registered
145 Posts
I agree that it is just $100, which is refundable.

I think being on the dealers list is more than a phone call. They have my email address as well and I feel confident they will make a genuine effort to contact me when my turn comes up,
I'm not saying they're not going to call\email you... I'm just saying there's a HUGE difference between this and a deposit. This only guarantees us a place in line to put a deposit in the future.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts