Chevy Equinox EV Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Administrator
318 Posts
This only guarantees us a place in line to put a deposit in the future.
And no guarantee they won't sell to someone who walks in to the dealer instead of saying "No, wait, someone is on a list already..." :) Basically, it's a somewhat qualified cold call list of potential buyers the dealer can contact.

·
Registered
184 Posts
You can bet I will be in contact with the dealer as the time gets close. I think it is more than people give it credit for. My experience with the Ioniq 5 is I was on a similar wait list, kept in contact with the dealer and he did call me to come in to sign a contract. It happened sooner than we expected and we decided to postpone for a year to allow us to save more, but also we wanted to find out more about the Equinox.

The point being, is I do expect the dealer to call me to come and sign a contract when the time comes, ahead of people who signed up after me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
And no guarantee they won't sell to someone who walks in to the dealer instead of saying "No, wait, someone is on a list already..." :) Basically, it's a somewhat qualified cold call list of potential buyers the dealer can contact.
So right now Chevy says 2LT EV available spring 2024. If that availability timeline holds say (April/May) when can a buyer expect delivery? June of 2024, summer of 2024 or end of 2024? Got know problem waiting a year for a new EV. But if we're talking almost a two year wait, wake me up come Sept..Oct. 2024.

·
Administrator
318 Posts
My experience with the ordering a year one Volt in February 2011 (the initial Volts were delivered to early buyers in December 2010) was 3 months after order placed. My experience with the Bolt was a few weeks. GM is doing something new by staging cars is distribution centers, so depending on the trim/options/colors you select it may only be days to the dealer. If the combination you choose is not sitting in the GM distribution center, then it's going to be built for you and may be some months (?). Without more info, we are guessing.

·
Registered
145 Posts
My experience with the ordering a year one Volt in February 2011 (the initial Volts were delivered to early buyers in December 2010) was 3 months after order placed. My experience with the Bolt was a few weeks. GM is doing something new by staging cars is distribution centers, so depending on the trim/options/colors you select it may only be days to the dealer. If the combination you choose is not sitting in the GM distribution center, then it's going to be built for you and may be some months (?). Without more info, we are guessing.
Yeah, but you bought back when cars weren't a rare find at the dealer, and actually depreciated... It's a different world today. We can only hope things get back to normal in a year or two.

·
Administrator
318 Posts
Yeah, but you bought back when cars weren't a rare find at the dealer, and actually depreciated... It's a different world today. We can only hope things get back to normal in a year or two.
I can only go with what I know :) What I don't know is how the new GM distribution centers will work. But one of the intended results besides faster delivery of the car you want (vs. factory orders) is there will be far fewer cars sitting on the dealer lots. Dealers will have fewer "ugly ducklings" taking up space that then must be discounted. Whether that will be real world, we shall see.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
The wait for a newly developed EV will be far longer than your wait for your Volt in 2011 or a Bolt years later. For me the Equinox 2LT might fall into my buying price range. But how can I get excited about going to DC auto show in mid-January when GM probably won't roll out the 2LT until mid 2024 or later. I might as well pass on any auto show this year since there are very, very few new EV models coming out 2023 and then visit in early 2024. Starting to think the days of seeing a car in auto show, or test driving shortly there after and then placing an order with hope of getting that EV in three months is a pipe dream. Could be wrong but the new buying trend for EV's could be place an order and then wait 8 to 14 months for your new toy to be delivered. And that's an order placed when EV you want is in production. Obviously GM jump the gun to get media attention for the low base price of the Equinox at say $31,000. And the company did get price tag media attention. But between today and mid 2024 - early 2025, there's going to be a lot more $30,000 to $40,000 EV on the market. Sometime time can be your friend and other time not.

·
Registered
145 Posts
But between today and mid 2024 - early 2025, there's going to be a lot more $30,000 to $40,000 EV on the market. Sometime time can be your friend and other time not.
If that happens.... GREAT! You'll have more to choose from!
Tesla has been teasing the Cybertruck for 4 years now, and the "25K EV". Teasing is fine. As long as no one tells you to put a non-refundable deposit, it doesn't hurt the consumer even a little. The opposite... If Chevy didn't tease the EQ EV, I wouldn't have waited, and probably got another ICE. So they probably saved some future pollution.

I doubt there will be better deals by then, especially when a non-serviceable battery is a deal-breaker for me. No other manufacturer even talked about developing one, let alone start manufacturing.

·
Administrator
318 Posts
The wait for a newly developed EV will be far longer than your wait for your Volt in 2011 or a Bolt years later.
GM started talking about the Volt in 2007 (unveiled in January 2007). First deliveries started in December 2010 and I got mine in May 2011 after a 3 month wait.

I think the Equinox EV wait will be significantly shorter than the Volt's 4+ years given we are only about 12 months out for the first 3RS deliveries.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts