Chevy Equinox EV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, green is good and EV's are the future. But hope everyone here on forum agrees we are in the first early inning of a long baseball game. In life it's impossible to time everything perfectly, especially not knowing the future. With that said are there any buyers of EV or future buyers who feel that buying todays EV technology/design/performance could be totally outdated by say 2025 or 2026? My feelings are we're so early in the EV game that what looks good on paper today might look awful in two, three years. Maybe more so in areas of EV electric batteries versus electric cars themselves. But still possible drastic change that didn't show itself in 2023.

With that said anyone out there feel if they bought a 2023 EV that they might be a shocked come 2025 or 2026 to find out their two/three year old EV is considered a dinosaur? I'm not talking used EV's versus new EV's but just a possible shift in the way future EV's operate and perform that could be completely different then say your 2023 Equinox EV.

Yea the early bird gets the worm, but one has to wonder if due to EV changing technology if it's best "not to be an early bird"?

·
Administrator
277 Posts
OK, green is good and EV's are the future. But hope everyone here on forum agrees we are in the first early inning of a long baseball game. In life it's impossible to time everything perfectly, especially not knowing the future. With that said are there any buyers of EV or future buyers who feel that buying todays EV technology/design/performance could be totally outdated by say 2025 or 2026?
Yes and no. When a car company announces an improved gas engine, turbo, transmission, etc. does that make you feel your older tech gas engine is totally outdated and a dinosaur? Not me. Do you replace your computer every year to keep up with the latest tech? Not me. I buy and hold cars. Otherwise depreciation is typically a killer on resale and you'd be better off buying a 2-3 year old car coming off lease.

I've been driving my 2011 Volt for over 10 years. During that time battery tech has improved. Makes no difference to me except when I'm ready to replace the Volt which will be around the time the Equinox EV starts shipping. Same with my Bolt EV. It'll be around for another 7 or more years. At the end of the day the question is, can the car take you from A to B? All the rest is essentially styling, ego, and doo-dads. The utility has not changed just because there are new cars that have some new features. Thy don't affect my car one way or the other.

Heck, if anyone should feel what they are driving is a dinosaur, it's those with a gasoline engine congregating like gas junkies at gas station pumps. "Psst! Want some gas?" :)

So the "new tech" only matters to me when I'm ready to replace what I have.

·
Registered
31 Posts
All depends on the time line things change. Got to assume Tesla, GM, Ford, VW, etc., know what there doing with EV standards set today hopefully holding for next 8 to 10 years plus. Now if we're talking 2032 vs 2022, then I'd put my money on some radical EV changes come 2032. In EV build and performance since auto manufacturers will have 12 to 14 years on road testing/research to play with. Musk set a lot standards for EV's but he's going downhill fast and seems more interested in running Twitter into bankruptcy than trying to improve Tesla upcoming models.

The only concern I have buying an EV now - what ever car model I choose I might get stuck with slow speed battery charging. What ever battery size I buy and upper grade charging system I use. There all are still relatively slow. So I'd hate to buy something now or next year and then find out in two, three years other new EV's charge at twice the speed as my 2023 EV charges. Hopefully on the battery/charging side all EV's (old and new) can share the rewards of future faster charging.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I agree that every year there will be advancements and perhaps some pretty dramatic advancements and that come 2025, 2026 and every year after that, the cars we buy now will be outdated.

But you never win that game. If you wait until 2025 to buy, there will be a big difference in 2027 and so on. It was like buying a computer in the 80’s and 90’s, there was always something faster with more storage the next year.

if you don’t have to buy an EV now, then wait, because there will be something better next year, but at one point you have to step in. We want an EV in 2024.

·
Administrator
277 Posts
What would be dramatic enough to make the EV you buy today outdated?

The only thing I can think of is a battery breakthrough like solid state that delivered say, 1000 miles range at the the same or less cost than current 300 mile battery tech. That's very unlikely to happen in the next 5 years. It could also be something like recharging the car with 300 miles in 5 minutes at no extra cost, no battery degradation, and public charge stations capable of delivery that through a fire hose thick charge cord. Also very unlikely to happen in the next 5 years.

What there has been for the last 12 years is incremental improvements. Batteries get incrementally less expensive. Associated systems like motors and battery management systems get tweaked and improved. That will continue. But something so dramatic as to render your car obsolete? Nope. Is a 50 year old 1952 Corvette obsolete? I'd say no. You can still drive it and for many it's a cherished collector's item. Is its tech obsolete compared to the current Corvettes and the upcoming Corvette EV? Sure. But so what?

Like Mapleev pointed out, your choice is to sit on the sidelines forever waiting until all the new tech has been done. That will never happen.

One thing that could render your car obsolete is cheap, reliable robo-taxi's. Call up a car and it arrives in a few minutes and takes you where you need to go. If the price per mile was low enough, you may decide buying/leasing a car, paying for the insurance, maintenance, repairs, parking and charging are simply not worth it.

Besides the Chevy Equinox EV and the others, THAT is on GM's radar as well with its Cruise Automation autonomous vehicle (AV) EV ride sharing. Still got a ways to go before it can handle inclement weather or trips outside select metro areas, but eventually (5 years? 10 years?) those will be dealt with.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I think range will be the big thing. There are new batteries on some Chinese vehicles right now, that get double or more range. Hyundai uses that battery supplier and I could see them in 2025 or 26 double their range in their vehicles.

I am still buying a 2024.

·
Administrator
277 Posts
Right, improvements in range or cost will continue. But nowhere near Moore's Law for computer chips. We will not see battery density (range) double every two years for decades. 300 miles now, 600 miles in 2024, 1200 miles in 2026, 2400 miles in 2028, etc. Improvements in batteries will be nowhere close to that. But that degree of exponential growth in computers did not stop people from buying a computer. If you need a car in 2023 or 2024 you will look around and buy what's best for your needs even if a car two years later has some improvements. I'll be looking at the 2024 Chevy Equinox EV because I'll be needing a car by then.

Of course if you don't need a car, just watch the parade go by until you do. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts