Chevy Equinox EV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I smugly thought that the dealer mark ups was strictly a US issue and that there were laws, especially in Ontario that protected the consumer In Canada.

i guess I was wrong, as a very few dealers are taking advantage of loop holes. (Article only mentioned Kia dealers)

Hopefully they are in the extreme minority, but when I eventually sign my contract, I will try and make sure those loop holes are closed.

·
Administrator
277 Posts
I always read the contract and related paperwork to verify I'm getting what I am buying (no missing options, accessories, etc.) and to make sure I understand what I'm agreeing to. One dealer said, "Oh, a reader!" and put me in another office so they could keep the non-reading sheep assembly line moving, haha. That's fine by me. But it's WAY easier to correct mistakes before you sign and hand over the money than after. And things can slip into in the paperwork, intentional or not.

And of course, the games dealers play with "dealer fees", "dealer upgrades" is why some are called stealerships. You must be prepared to walk out and shop around if that happens. I wonder how the GM online ordering system plays into that? I guess you build the car you want, get a price, are referred to a dealer or dealers? I understand it's being used for the Bolt but haven't looked.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I smugly thought that the dealer mark ups was strictly a US issue and that there were laws, especially in Ontario that protected the consumer In Canada.

i guess I was wrong, as a very few dealers are taking advantage of loop holes. (Article only mentioned Kia dealers)

Hopefully they are in the extreme minority, but when I eventually sign my contract, I will try and make sure those loop holes are closed.

Won't happen in Quebec. Consumer protection laws are extremely strict. Any business has to uphold the price advertised online.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I always read the contract and related paperwork to verify I'm getting what I am buying (no missing options, accessories, etc.) and to make sure I understand what I'm agreeing to. One dealer said, "Oh, a reader!" and put me in another office so they could keep the non-reading sheep assembly line moving, haha. That's fine by me. But it's WAY easier to correct mistakes before you sign and hand over the money than after. And things can slip into in the paperwork, intentional or not.

And of course, the games dealers play with "dealer fees", "dealer upgrades" is why some are called stealerships. You must be prepared to walk out and shop around if that happens. I wonder how the GM online ordering system plays into that? I guess you build the car you want, get a price, are referred to a dealer or dealers? I understand it's being used for the Bolt but haven't looked.

I'm not "shopping around" since Quebec has strict consumer protection rules about that. I just say "excuse me one minute, let me talk to my lawyer about this"... I never actually had to make the call... They always backed out.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought Ontario had strict consumer protection laws as well, but some dealers are finding loopholes to get around it. I think most are not doing that, but when the time comes to sign a contract, I will pay more attention to the fine print and make sure the total price is on the contract.

·
Administrator
277 Posts
My other strong recommendation: thoroughly check out the car, don't do a quick once over and drive away. In the excitement to drive away in your new car it's easy to miss scratches, dents, scuff's, paint defects. Even missing items like a tow eye bolt, tire kit stuff, the EVSE (aka charge cord). Compare the car to what you ordered.

Wear a pair of gloves (white cotton if you like) and touch your new car everywhere. I'm being literal. It's like CSI and their little flashlight, your finger helps focus your attention on details you may have otherwise overlooked. Once you drive away, you own those defects, not the dealer. Make sure there is plenty of light. Don't overlook the roof :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
109 Posts
Here is something some other dealers are doing. I do not think the majority of dealers are greedy, but it might be something to check out before buying and to be prepared to walk off if they are.

There's a loophole around "forced financing". 99% of the time (and by law in Quebec and maybe some other provinces), they can't charge a penalty if you pay the loan early, so you just take the financing option (read the contract THOROUGHLY), and then pay the entire thing after 2 weeks.

My mother-in-law took financing because they made the price cheaper if you do. She paid it off after 2 scheduled payments, and that's it. She saved about $800 that way.

·
Administrator
277 Posts
I never heard of forced financing before.

I pay for my cars, no lease, no loans. If I can't afford the car with cash, I buy one I can afford. I avoid debt like the plague. The only debt I've had have been mortgages and I strive to pay them off early. On the other hand, if the interest rate is 2% or 3% I might be tempted...

·
Registered
109 Posts
I never heard of forced financing before.

I pay for my cars, no lease, no loans. If I can't afford the car with cash, I buy one I can afford. I avoid debt like the plague. The only debt I've had have been mortgages and I strive to pay them off early. On the other hand, if the interest rate is 2% or 3% I might be tempted...
3 years ago, many manufacturers had a promotion for 0% financing.

I'm like you (paid cash for everything I have, including my house). But if financing is cheaper, you bet your ass I'll use the loophole and just pay it off in 2 weeks. If they play stupid games, I'm gonna give them some stupid prizes.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hope we can trust this guy more than Musk... Because that guy delivered one out of 20 promises. The "25K Tesla" and the "45K Cybertruck" were supposed to be on the market for over a year now... Not that I wouldn't bought any one of them. I'm an Elon hater. Not a fan of internet trolls and con-men.

·
Administrator
277 Posts
Hope we can trust this guy more than Musk.
Ruess has a good chance of being the next CEO of GM when Mary Barra retires. He does not suffer from "Musk-Hype Syndrome". The challenge will be the dealers. They are independent businesses, and can throw a sand in the gears.

My favorite Musk hype was when he was talking about his "alien dreadnought" production line and how air resistance would be a problem ...because the line was moving so fast.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ruess has a good chance of being the next CEO of GM when Mary Barra retires. He does not suffer from "Musk-Hype Syndrome". The challenge will be the dealers. They are independent businesses, and can throw a sand in the gears.

My favorite Musk hype was when he was talking about his "alien dreadnought" production line and how air resistance would be a problem ...because the line was moving so fast.
In Canada, we don't see as much markups as the US... But still, dealers sure do ruin the car buying experience.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
109 Posts
99% of you will not be able to open this link: A dealer is trying to charge me thousands more than the advertised price of an SUV. Is that legal?

But it essentially what it says are dealers in Canada in ALL provinces are allowed to charge more than MSRP. You can go on the website, build the vehicle and come up with a price, but the dealers can charge more. Now if the dealer advertises a price, then they cannot charge more than the advertised price.
Yes. But they just don't do that here, because if you don't advertise a price, no one will ever go to look at a car at your place. If it does happen, it's extremely rare. I have a friend who just bought a Subaru BRZ UNDER MSRP, and another one who bought a Tuscon at MSRP. On the other hand, the first one waited 15 months for it (he ordered a 2021 and got a 2022 because of that), and the second one waited 5 months for it (and it wasn't a special order or anything... Stock accessories).

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They don’t really do that here either, but if I was in Montreal checked out the manufacturer price on line and let’s say it costs $40,000 and went to the dealer, the dealer than can say they are selling it for $45,000 and it would be legal.

·
Registered
109 Posts
They don’t really do that here either, but if I was in Montreal checked out the manufacturer price on line and let’s say it costs $40,000 and went to the dealer, the dealer than can say they are selling it for $45,000 and it would be legal.

Legal? Yes. Common? No. So as long as it's doesn't happen, I don't care.

Where would you rather be, a place where murder is legal, but only happens to 1 out of 100,000 people every year, or a place where murder is illegal, but happens to 5000 out of 100,000 people every year?

As long as I have a 99% change that I'll get MSRP if the car is available, there shouldn't be a law. If upcharge becomes a common issue, then we should discuss putting a law in place.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts