Chevy Equinox EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Expecting to purchase either a FWD Fisker Ocean or the FWD Equinox I have been researching replacement tires. Coming from an AWD I want the benefit of an "all weather" tire. Many are also rated for SUVS, EVS.

· Administrator
585 Posts
LRR, Low Rolling Resistance will boost range. Slapping on "regular" tires and snow tires will result in fewer travel miles per charge.

· Registered
33 Posts
Yes there is always trade-offs. I mentioned "all weather" tires, not snow/winter tires. There is a big difference. Not living in the snow or sun belt climates what would serve me best is a tire that can offer performance better than "all season" tires in wet/snow conditions that can remain on the vehicle all year, For instance the Michelin Cross Climate 2.

· Registered
215 Posts
Yes there is always trade-offs. I mentioned "all weather" tires, not snow/winter tires. There is a big difference. Not living in the snow or sun belt climates what would serve me best is a tire that can offer performance better than "all season" tires in wet/snow conditions that can remain on the vehicle all year, For instance the Michelin Cross Climate 2.
The CrossClimate2 are great in the snow as well. If you don't get any snow, pretty much any all-season tire is good for you.

· Administrator
585 Posts
I mentioned "all weather" tires, not snow/winter tires. There is a big difference.
And I said Low Rolling Resistance (LLR) tires go further compared to "regular" or snow. That's a general statement, I said nothing about a particular brand.

However, the Michelin spec sheet says this:

The rolling resistance of MICHELIN CrossClimate 2 is comparable with that of a similar standard tyre7
7 MICHELIN CrossClimate 2 is rated "B" on the majority of dimensions on the Rolling Resistance A-B-C-D-E Item of the European labelling scale. This is comparable to the summer premium tyre standard as the majority of them are rated B and above, according to Product Tracking - Average Premium Summer tire market in Europe – 2021.

So, rolling resistance equal to a standard tire? Still B is pretty good. Regardless, you may be happy with whatever range tradeoff there is. I'm fine taking a range hit in the winter running my winter tires.

· Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The way I read it, a regular tire, whether it be summer, all season, or winter tires, that would go on an ICE vehicles, would affect range, perhaps performance and quietness.

· Registered
17 Posts
In general EV tires will be made of harder rubber for low resistance (maximum range) and may have foam to reduce noise. One of the tradeoffs is going to be snow handling, winter tires use softer compounds to increase grip at the expense of higher rolling resistance.

I live in the Minneapolis metro and currently have Cross Climate 2's on my ICE SUV and one Tesla, the other Tesla is wearing Vredestein Quatrac Pros. All 3 cars are AWD and both the CC2s and the Quatracs handle the snow quite well on those vehicles, but not quite as well as the X-Ice winter tires I had on my FWD Bolt.

If I end up with a FWD Equinox I will do what I did with the Bolt, spend the money on another set of rims and sensors for winter tires. Swapping them is no more work than rotating the tires, I do it myself.

· Registered
153 Posts
LRR, Low Rolling Resistance will boost range. Slapping on "regular" tires and snow tires will result in fewer travel miles per charge.
Also fewer travel miles per gas/diesel fill-up for ICEVs.

• Helpful
Reactions: Steverino

· Registered
153 Posts
I know Goodyear just released the Electricdrive EV specific tires. Knowing GM and Goodyear have a long term OEM tire contract, I wonder if this is what will show up on some of GM's upcoming EVs.

· Administrator
585 Posts
My Bolt EV has the OEM self-seal Michelins. I think self-seal are a good idea given the lack of a spare tire.

They only help with tread area punctures, not sidewall or shoulder punctures of course. Stil, a nice compromise between "regular" and run-flats. Some claim the self-seal's can't be repaired, but that's not been my experience. Just takes a competant tire shop following the procedure.

· Registered
153 Posts
Bottom line of the article, EV tires are recommended for EV’s:

I disagree. Make sure the tires are designed for the vehicle weight and get the highest speed rating you can (V or higher) and then don't drive like a jack rabbit. Teslas have a problem because far too many Tesla drivers accelerate far to hard from a dead stop. This wears out tires quickly.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts