Hyundai has broken ground on their $5.54 billion battery/EV facility in Georgia.
SEOUL / BRYAN COUNTY, Ga., Oct. 25, 2022
- New facilities represent U.S. investment of approx. USD 5.54 billion
- Commercial production to begin 1H 2025 with annual capacity of 300,000 units
- HMG to become a leader of electrified mobility solutions with investment
- Hyundai Hope, Hyundai Hope On Wheels, Genesis Inspiration Foundation and Kia Accelerate the Good donate USD 1.54 million to a variety of Georgian charity initiatives
– Hyundai Motor Group Executive Chair Euisun Chung, along with Governor Brian P. Kemp, and company officials, and state and local leaders, officially broke ground today on Hyundai Motor Group Metaplant America (HMGMA) LLC’s new manufacturing plant at the Bryan County Mega site. The celebration included a morning groundbreaking on site, followed by a future technology expo at Enmarket Arena in Savannah, where the company highlighted “advanced technology and extraordinary human achievement” with a wide array of exhibits for hundreds of attendees from the community in attendance.
The $5.54 billion investment by the company and its affiliate suppliers was announced five months ago and includes plans to produce a diverse range of innovative Hyundai, Genesis and Kia electric vehicles (EVs) and a new battery manufacturing facility. HMGMA will create more than 8,100 jobs over the next few years as the company aims to establish a stable supply chain for EV battery and other EV components in the U.S. market. HMGMA’s new smart factory is expected to begin commercial production in the first half of 2025.
“Hyundai and the people of Georgia share many qualities: respect for our histories, ingenuity, creativity, and determination to make the world better for the next generation,” said Hyundai Motor Group Executive Chair Euisun Chung. “Today, our EVs are recognized as best in class, and with this partnership, we are determined to be the global leader in electrification, safety, quality, and sustainability. With the Hyundai Motor Group Metaplant America, we will continue to evolve beyond an automaker to the world’s leading mobility solutions provider.”
Executive Chair of Hyundai Motor Group, Euisun Chung, is photographed speaking at the Hyundai Motor Group Metaplant America Groundbreaking Ceremony in Savannah, Georgia, on October 25, 2022.
"With more Georgians working than ever before, record jobs and investment coming to all parts of our state, and award-winning workforce development programs and infrastructure, the Peach State's economy is reaching new heights," said Governor Brian Kemp. "Our partnership with Hyundai Motor Group and the groundbreaking of this innovative facility exemplifies that unprecedented success. With a long-term commitment to improving lives and livelihoods, we look forward to continuing this partnership and seeing its impact on both this community and our state as a whole."