Chevy Equinox EV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
277 Posts
CCS is the current standard for North America - except for Tesla. With the number of CCS stations expanding I suspect Tesla may fear it is on the brink of being overshadowed by CCS and Tesla drivers will need to keep carrying the expensive bag of snozzle adapters.

Remember there used to be another charge station plug in North America called CHAdeMO. It is a Japaneese standard. With the advent of J1772/CCS, those have largely been made irrelevant and converted to CCS.

The Chevy Equinox EV will definitely be using the J1772/CCS standard. For some reason I suspect GM would push back against making Tesla's design the new standard.

Product Font Line Circle Parallel

More details Difference Between CHAdeMO and CCS - SETEC POWER

·
Registered
17 Posts
I’m ashamed to say that did not know of the CCS2 plugs being used in Europe until now. It’s interesting as it has the capability to charge up to 22 kilowatts at home. Wow! I guess that my house will need an electrical upgrade to handle that one.

• Type 1 is a single-phase plug and is standard for EVs from America and Asia. It allows you to charge your car at a speed of up to 7.4 kW, depending on the charging power of your car and grid capability.
  • Type 2 plugs are triple-phase plugs because they have three additional wires to let current run through. So naturally, they can charge your car faster. At home, the highest charging power rate is 22 kW, while public charging stations can have a charging power up to 43 kW, again depending on the charging power of your car and grid capability.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Volt LT with 7.2 kW Charger
66 Posts
I’m ashamed to say that did not know of the CCS2 plugs being used in Europe until now. It’s interesting as it has the capability to charge up to 22 kilowatts at home. Wow! I guess that my house will need an electrical upgrade to handle that one.

• Type 1 is a single-phase plug and is standard for EVs from America and Asia. It allows you to charge your car at a speed of up to 7.4 kW, depending on the charging power of your car and grid capability.
  • Type 2 plugs are triple-phase plugs because they have three additional wires to let current run through. So naturally, they can charge your car faster. At home, the highest charging power rate is 22 kW, while public charging stations can have a charging power up to 43 kW, again depending on the charging power of your car and grid capability.
Those kW numbers seem outdated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts