Chevy Equinox EV Forum banner

Is $30,000 Equinox EV price a "False Hope" or just a "Lure"?

2095 Views 75 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  Steverino
So Bolt is going bye-bye because it was not a "money maker" for GM. Timing interesting with the Equinox EV replacing the Bolt end of year. But base model for the Equinox EV is $30,000 and it certainly has more bells and whistles than the departing Bolt, plus it can go 300 miles on battery power.

So 1LT/LT base models won't be offered to buyers until Spring of 2024 which is almost a year off, yet one has to wonder if $30,000 sticker price will hold come next year? And will GM make much of a profit off LT trims? GM claims it was losing money on Bolt so one has to seriously wonder if the same problem could surface next year on upcoming base Equinox EV, if production costs increase or GM quarterly profits slip?

Ford, Rivian and other EV makers have jacked EV prices at the risk of buyer backlash. So one has to wonder if GM is playing the lowball (lure) price game offering Equinox base at $30,000, only to jack up price next year before actually deliveries? Obviously right now there's a demand for EV's priced in $30,000 to $35,000 range yet very view to pick from. So "Kudos" to GM for putting on paper they plan to sell the base Equinox at $30,000. But that estimated price quote is May/2023. Not March/April 2024? So anyone here feel $30,000 base price is "locked in stone" for Spring 2024 or just a LURE?
Reactions: 1
1 - 20 of 76 Posts
Do you have a GM source for saying it's going away "because it's not a money-maker"? Otherwise the more sensible and plausible reason for it going away is that it "doesn't fit the ongoing transition to the Ultium platform".
Reactions: 2
Manufacturing and labor costs are a big factor as to why they may meet their $30,000 price point.
one has to wonder if $30,000 sticker price will hold come next year?
Sure, hard to say and GM is saying $30k-ish so that $30k is not writer in stone, NoBugs.

it "doesn't fit the ongoing transition to the Ultium platform".
This, and the Equinox EV 1 LT will be roughly the same range (about $3k-sh more). Also think the Bolt was not making money, Hellsop.

I think GM should have continued the Bolt until the 1 LT was available. Then again, I think GM should have kept the Volt going as well for people interested in an EV but have battery range anxiety and for those who make long and very long trips regularly who don't want to think about charging.
I don't see a ~$30k Equinox EV by this time next year. However, I can imagine one costing no more than our loaded 2023 EUV Premier which has an MSRP of $37,785. Only some Bolts are ~$30k and under, and based on the relative popularity of the EUV over the EV, it's probably a minority of Bolts. So, the price overlap is another reason to end Bolt production.

A ~$38k Equinox EV may not have Super Cruise or heated/ventilated seats like our EUV, but I'd still prefer it for the faster DCFC and other improvements inherent in the Ultium platform.

Introductory note:

I've been lurking on here for a bit, and finally decided to join up. I'm on the Bolt forum, and previously was on the Volt forum when we owned a Volt, and also CruzeTalk, those latter two forums as Eagleco. I still have my 2011 Cruze Eco MT but have not been active on that forum for quite some time. I recognize a few names here from all three of those forums.
See less See more
Reactions: 3
Do you have a GM source for saying it's going away "because it's not a money-maker"? Otherwise the more sensible and plausible reason for it going away is that it "doesn't fit the ongoing transition to the Ultium platform".
After a few years of recall-related difficulties, the Chevy Bolt lineup has achieved a sharp increase in popularity. Sales grew 50% in 2022, and according to GM, the Bolt EV and Bolt EUV have also broken delivery records for the past three quarters. Part of the reason for the Bolt’s improved sales is its affordability. GM cut the model’s starting price to $26,500 last year, and it continues to qualify for a $7,500 federal EV tax credit that lowers its cost even more. Because of this, GM can bill it as “America’s Most Affordable EV.”
While driving higher sales, the Bolt’s low price also means that the vehicle isn’t very profitable for GM — likely playing a big role in its discontinuation.

I have read that the Orion plant is converting over from building Bolts to the EV Silverado. As the LG batteries do not fit GM’s long term goals, and with the introduction of the Ultium batteries, they have no choice but to phase out the Bolt. It is a shame, but I’m sure GM knows/expects the EQ and Silverado EVs to be a bigger money maker than the Bolt.
  • Helpful
Reactions: 4
So Bolt is going bye-bye because it was not a "money maker" for GM. Timing interesting with the Equinox EV replacing the Bolt end of year. But base model for the Equinox EV is $30,000 and it certainly has more bells and whistles than the departing Bolt, plus it can go 300 miles on battery power.

So 1LT/LT base models won't be offered to buyers until Spring of 2024 which is almost a year off, yet one has to wonder if $30,000 sticker price will hold come next year? And will GM make much of a profit off LT trims? GM claims it was losing money on Bolt so one has to seriously wonder if the same problem could surface next year on upcoming base Equinox EV, if production costs increase or GM quarterly profits slip?
As a previous ICE Equinox owner, I will point out that there is a lower level version of the Equinox known as the LS.

It is my guess is that the EV Equinox will also be offered as a basic model with a stark level of equipment. It might not be denoted as an LS, but that will be the “under $30k version. A smaller battery with roughly 250 miles of range and front wheel drive with a motor with just slightly more power than a Bolt. But we will see when it becomes available.
I don't see a ~$30k Equinox EV by this time next year. However, I can imagine one costing no more than our loaded 2023 EUV Premier which has an MSRP of $37,785. Only some Bolts are ~$30k and under, and based on the relative popularity of the EUV over the EV, it's probably a minority of Bolts. So, the price overlap is another reason to end Bolt production.

A ~$38k Equinox EV may not have Super Cruise or heated/ventilated seats like our EUV, but I'd still prefer it for the faster DCFC and other improvements inherent in the Ultium platform.

Introductory note:

I've been lurking on here for a bit, and finally decided to join up. I'm on the Bolt forum, and previously was on the Volt forum when we owned a Volt, and also CruzeTalk, those latter two forums as Eagleco. I still have my 2011 Cruze Eco MT but have not been active on that forum for quite some time. I recognize a few names here from all three of those forums.
Welcome aboard!
I will point out that there is a lower level version of the Equinox known as the LS.
Yup, Chevy announced the Equinox EV 1LT, 2LT, 3LT, 2Rs and 3RS, Bugs. The 1LT is the one pegged to the US$30k-ish price point and Chevy is saying Spring 2024 for it: The First-Ever Equinox EV: Electric SUV | Chevrolet
I want a 2LT with AWD and Super Cruise, and I'm hopespecting that to be $40-45,000. If it's more than that, the IONIQ 5/6 gets another look.
Yea everyone has their ideal "target" buy price for a new vehicle, but when you throw in dealer destination charges, taxes, possible options, etc. that supposed target price you had - BALLOONS. And noticed I didn't add (upchuck) dealer mark up and bogus dealer "prep" charges. When I look to buy a car and estimate what I'm going to spend - I only factor what my total walk out price is. TOTAL Not some dollar figure $3,000 to $5,000 less. To Each His Own.
I only factor what my total walk out price is.
A sound financial position, NoBugs
Yup, Chevy announced the Equinox EV 1LT, 2LT, 3LT, 2Rs and 3RS, Bugs. The 1LT is the one pegged to the US$30k-ish price point and Chevy is saying Spring 2024 for it: The First-Ever Equinox EV: Electric SUV | Chevrolet

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car

Can you definitively say exactly how the LT will be equipped? Chevrolet has a tendency to use model level designations with no regard for any specific level of equipment. I do know this much. The base model will have a smaller battery which they haven’t designated as to a kWh rating. Just a range of 250 miles and in a single motor FWD format.

Something I noticed is that the 1 and 2 LT/RS models have a smaller infotainment screen than the level 3LT or 3RS. All Bolt models have identical infotainment screens regardless of level. This is what I was thinking about as quoted.

I think the safety systems are now included in the Equinox EV LT, where they were options on an LT Bolt. That is a good thing considering the $30k price point.

I think the upcoming Equinox EV LT model will be similar to a Bolt (EV or EUV) LT just a bigger car. The battery will undoubtedly be bigger by an equivalent amount since the projected range is about the same as an EUV. The motor is rated for a few more horsepower than the Bolt. The additional weight of an Equinox will definitely decrease the miles/kWh that a Bolt gets. The 3.95 miles/kWh of the Bolt EV as compared to the 3.8 miles/kWh of the EUV leads me to believe that the Equinox EV is going to be more of a 3.2-3.4 miles/kWh. So the base battery will probably be about 75 kWh battery while the extended range option (or standard in the 3LT/3RS) battery will probably be about a 90 kWh battery, based on the stated range expectation.

If GM comes through with the $30k price for a base model, this will be a tremendously good deal when compared to the competition. Just as both models of Bolt are unprecedented in the value of starting at ~$26.5k and ~$28.5k compared to the competition.
See less See more
Reactions: 4
I want a 2LT with AWD and Super Cruise, and I'm hopespecting that to be $40-45,000. If it's more than that, the IONIQ 5/6 gets another look.
That’s about my attitude as well. We have a $2250 rebate in CT which takes off $9750 if you include the full tax credit which the Equinox gets and all at the POS. But if it’s $50, and by that point there are some prospects of a discount on the Ioniq 5, I will consider that route (also looking at ID.7). However, I highly doubt the 2LT will be more than $45K U.S. I expect the following (will be interesting to look back on:

1 LT (standard range FWD): $30,000
1LT (long range FWD): $33,500
1LT (long range AWD) $37,000
2LT (FWD): $40,000
2LT (AWD): $43,500
3LT (FWD): $46,500
3LT (AWD): $49,990

No guess on the RS trims. But I think they keep the LTs under $50,000. Looks cleaner and separates it from the Blazer. Slight overlap but gives Blazer enough room to standout as more premium and feel worth it to splurge a little more for those who are interested.

EDIT: I also say this in hopes that I am wrong and it’s cheaper ;)
See less See more
That’s about my attitude as well. We have a $2250 rebate in CT which takes off $9750 if you include the full tax credit which the Equinox gets and all at the POS. But if it’s $50, and by that point there are some prospects of a discount on the Ioniq 5, I will consider that route (also looking at ID.7). However, I highly doubt the 2LT will be more than $45K U.S. I expect the following (will be interesting to look back on:

No guess on the RS trims. But I think they keep the LTs under $50,000. Looks cleaner and separates it from the Blazer. Slight overlap but gives Blazer enough room to standout as more premium and feel worth it to splurge a little more for those who are interested.

Valid price guesses, but I would think the 2rs would fit in-between the price of 2lt and 3lt , since there are way more options on the 3LT and 2rs is mainly small cosmetic changes. but I could be way off.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the only versions of Equinox that will have Super Cruise optional will be the 3LT and 3RS.

Don’t you guys know how GM operates? First time featured options are only available for Cadillacs, and only the top trim. After Cadillac has offered something for several years, GM opens the feature up for various Chevrolet, GMC, and Buick models. But only on the highest trim levels. After several more years, the feature might be offered on the base trims as an option. But Super Cruise has only been available on Caddies until 2021.
  • Sad
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the only versions of Equinox that will have Super Cruise optional will be the 3LT and 3RS.

Don’t you guys know how GM operates? First time featured options are only available for Cadillacs, and only the top trim. After Cadillac has offered something for several years, GM opens the feature up for various Chevrolet, GMC, and Buick models. But only on the highest trim levels. After several more years, the feature might be offered on the base trims as an option. But Super Cruise has only been available on Caddies until 2021.
That’s incorrect. If you look on their website, it will be available for every trim except for the 1LT.

I think you are being hopeful about your guesses about the prices TBH. Take a look at the Blazer prices for a better idea of what to expect with the Equinox EV. I think a fully loaded level 3 AWD with Super Cruise is going to just break the $50k price point. And it will be well worth it as compared to the competition. That is my guess.

Why do I think this? Because it’s typical of GM to extract profits from the upper trim levels while simultaneously losing money on the base trim. So don’t expect any reasonable degree of increase in MSRP as a “price leader” gets equipped up with the do-dads. Don’t look at the Bolt as the example of what to expect for upgrades to trim levels. Look at how much they jack-up the Blazer EV, which is a mid-40k to well over 60k for the SS model.

We are all just guessing. I am just thinking about the GM behavior I have observed since buying my first GM product in 2014 as a MY 2013 Volt.
See less See more
That’s incorrect. If you look on their website, it will be available for every trim except for the 1LT.
Want to recheck that Chevy website?

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Car Vehicle

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Car Vehicle

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

“Available super cruise driver assistance technology” only on the 3LT and 3RS versions.

Sorry.

edit: I don’t know why the 2RS photo didn’t come out as a full size image, but it’s in the thumbnail

Attachments

See less See more
1 - 20 of 76 Posts