Chevy Equinox EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Based on what I have read, it appears for the US only, that in order to get V2L (vehicle to load) for the Equinox EV you must select several different (expensive) options.
1. Must select 3 RS trim (highest trim)
2. Must select AWD option in order to get to the option to purchase the 19.2-kW bidirectional on-board charger
3. Must select 19.2-kW bidirectional on-board charger option
4. Must select V2L option

As compared to the Hyundai Ioniq 5 in which V2L is standard in all trims (i.e. you may have to buy an adapter for $150 to $500 for the lower trims).

V2L is an important option and one of the key reasons most buyers are now considering EV cars. If GM makes it financially unreasonable to get V2L, they will lose a lot of buyers to other car manufacturers.

· Administrator
589 Posts
I put V2L and V2H in the nice to have, but not need to have category.

If power is out in my home, do I want to deplete my car as well? Not unless the outage will be short. But if it is, I can either startup my $350 gas-powered generator, or just wait until the poer comes back.

If my power is going out all the time, then I'd want something other than my car like a Generac.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I put V2L and V2H in the nice to have, but not need to have category.

If power is out in my home, do I want to deplete my car as well? Not unless the outage will be short. But if it is, I can either startup my $350 gas-powered generator, or just wait until the poer comes back.

If my power is going out all the time, then I'd want something other than my car like a Generac.
Well I live in Florida where hurricanes can be a problem. I read that a 3 kw V2L EV battery can power a refrigerator plus other small appliances for 2-3 weeks. Plus you can put a lower limit of how much of the EV battery can be used. I also have a gas powered generator but an EV V2L would be a much cleaner, quieter and longer term solution for power outages.

· Registered
287 Posts
I have searched for the Forbes article that talked about V2L in the Equinox, but I could not find the article. They talk about it on Reddit, but I have never seen any official GM information on it.

From Reddit: “A new feature that GM is discussing for the first time in the context of the Equinox EV is vehicle to load (V2L) capability. The top 3RS trim level will be available with an optional 19.2-kW bidirectional on-board charger. With an 80-amp wall charger at home, this one can add 51 miles of charge per hour. However, it will also be able to put out up to 3kW of power for other devices. For now Chevrolet isn’t providing any other details such as if an adapter with an AC outlet will be required similar to the V2L system offered by Hyundai and Kia. While GM officials declined to confirm if this capability will be available on its other EVs, it seems likely that at least those with the 19.2-kW charger will be able to provide power.”
Rectangle Font Screenshot Software Parallel

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually that is a quote from the Forbes article. I agree no official announcement from GM. A different article (which I don't recall) also said that the 19.2 bi-directional charging was only available on the AWD version. I suggest making your opinion known to GM before they lock all of the options down. I already sent an email to [email protected]

· Registered
2019 Chevy Volt LT with 7.2 kW Charger
147 Posts
If you want to learn about GM's Bi-Directional Charging check out GM Energy: An Electric Ecosystem, Reimagined

It would be nice to have on the lower trims, sure, but this vehicle starts 10k+ now 20k cheaper than the Hyundai/Kia EVs.

You want to give people options and not price people out of the market of a potential mass market EV.

· Administrator
589 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I feel like this is overstating it just a tad...
This is from Australia. I couldn't find a survey in the US

The majority of those surveyed said they are interested in vehicle-to-grid (V2G) and vehicle-to-load (V2L) technologies such as that found in the Nissan Leaf (in the case of V2G) and the Hyundai Ioniq 5 or Kia EV6 – in the case of V2L (no wonder that these models are selling out within hours and minutes.)

According to the results, 72% of EV drivers are interested in V2L or V2G, and 66% of non-EV owners are likewise interested.

· Registered
287 Posts
The Ioniq 5 has a special adapter that plugs into the charging port. I think that is an ideal way to go, if they do it. If it adds a lot of cost to do this, I can understand why they do not do it, because the greatest asset the EQ EV has, is
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

it’s value.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Ioniq 5 has a special adapter that plugs into the charging port. I think that is an ideal way to go, if they do it. If it adds a lot of cost to do this, I can understand why they do not do it, because the greatest asset the EQ EV has, is View attachment 250
it’s value.
My guess is that they need to have a 19.2 kw charger (the Hyundai already has a very fast charger system). But there is no reason why the car has to be AWD and be the highest trim to get the 19.5 kw charger as an option.

· Registered
215 Posts
My guess is that they need to have a 19.2 kw charger (the Hyundai already has a very fast charger system). But there is no reason why the car has to be AWD and be the highest trim to get the 19.5 kw charger as an option.
We don't REALLY know (yet) if it's only with the AWD option. If it is, than that does make me scratch my head a bit. I can see why it will be only on higher trims. You'll need a different (extra?) battery management system, heavy duty wiring\connectors, control unit, etc. It's a shame making everyone pay for that without them using it. So they put it in the higher trim.

I have a 10KW generator for outages, it cost me 1000 CAD (2018). That's a fraction of the cost of V2L, doesn't deplete my car, and 3X more powerful! I prefer my car to be fully charged in an outage, because that's considered an emergency. Then I can use that car to drive far enough where there is no outage, and buy more fuel to keep my house warm, and my car charged for pretty much forever (go out every day or two for more fuel). If there's an outage in winter in Canada or summer in Australia, you need very high energy devices (a\c, fridge, freezers, heaters) to be operational, 3KW is not enough for you to want to stay in your home for a few days, then, when you'll want to leave, you can't go far because you used your car's battery.

I'll also put it in a "nice to have" and not in a "must have".... Especially when there are much cheaper options out there.

Look at this that way: ICE vehicles can also easily become emergency generators, yet how many models provide that option?

The Equinox is supposed to be marketed for people who buy their first EV. These types of people care about price\performance\etc. They want their EV to cost almost like their ICE counterparts, and provide pretty much the same experience, but with more power and no fuel\maintenance cost. The survey you provided was conducted on "EV drivers", not "first time EV buyers", which is the target market for the Equinox.

· Registered
215 Posts
Based on what I have read, it appears that in order to get V2L (vehicle to load) for the Equinox EV you must select several different (expensive) options.
1. Must select 3 RS trim (highest trim)
2. Must select AWD option in order to get to the option to purchase the 19.2-kW bidirectional on-board charger
3. Must select 19.2-kW bidirectional on-board charger option
4. Must select V2L option

As compared to the Hyundai Ioniq 5 in which V2L is standard in all trims (i.e. you may have to buy an adapter for $150 to $500 for the lower trims).

V2L is an important option and one of the key reasons most buyers are now considering EV cars. If GM makes it financially unreasonable to get V2L, they will lose a lot of buyers to other car manufacturers.
You don't really "Select" AWD, it comes as standard with that trim level...So, numbering it to match yours:

1. "Must select 3 RS trim (highest trim)".
No, you can choose the 3LT as well. It makes sense they won't build an expensive system in the lower trims.

2. "Must select AWD option in order to get to the option to purchase the 19.2-kW bidirectional on-board charger".
No, the eAWD is standard on that trim.

3. "Must select 19.2-kW bidirectional on-board charger option".
Yes, you need it for the system to work. You hook that to the car when you want to power your house.

4. "Must select V2L option".
Well, yeah, that's the option you're interested in. How can you get it without selecting it?

So to sum it up: V2L is only available at 3LT and 3RS, and you can't have that system without the necessary parts.

The ventilated front seats are also 3LT/3RS only, but that doesn't mean they "Force me" to get an AWD option, it just means it is only available at higher trims, which might include options I don't 100% need. My blender has 20 different settings, I only use 3 of them...That's how it has always been with most things we buy.

Unlike AWD, V2L is almost impossible to install aftermarket, so GM needs to think if they want all the trims to jump in price, or offer it at the higher trims only. I think they made the right call. As for AWD standard on 3LT/3RS, I think they did that to keep their trim line coherent. Imagine someone driving a 3RS that handles worse than a 1LT eAWD...That would be kind of embarrassing.

They actually give much more control over options compared to other brands of EVs I looked at. Most of these have 2 trim levels and almost no options to add. Here, you get 5 trims, with 9 options that are not "forced" on you (not included in any trim), many add-on options for the 2LT, and the important basic add-on options (eAWD and extended range) for the 1LT. I didn't see any brand come even close to this type of free selection.
Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Screenshot

· Registered
34 Posts
Though I do have concerns around the reliability of our electrical grid, a V2L option is not a requirement in my next EV purchase. As already stated in this thread, an ICE vehicle could be equipped with such an option. I have a backup generator that I will use in the event of an outage, so I would not be willing to pay any significant amount for a V2L option. My backup generator is likely much cheaper than any V2L option. Also, if the power is out for more than a couple of days, I might need to leave my neighborhood, so a fully charged vehicle is my escape hatch.

For the most part, I think that V2L is more of a gimmick and not necessarily a practical option.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You don't really "Select" AWD, it comes as standard with that trim level...So, numbering it to match yours:

1. "Must select 3 RS trim (highest trim)".
No, you can choose the 3LT as well. It makes sense they won't build an expensive system in the lower trims.

2. "Must select AWD option in order to get to the option to purchase the 19.2-kW bidirectional on-board charger".
No, the eAWD is standard on that trim.

3. "Must select 19.2-kW bidirectional on-board charger option".
Yes, you need it for the system to work. You hook that to the car when you want to power your house.

4. "Must select V2L option".
Well, yeah, that's the option you're interested in. How can you get it without selecting it?

So to sum it up: V2L is only available at 3LT and 3RS, and you can't have that system without the necessary parts.

The ventilated front seats are also 3LT/3RS only, but that doesn't mean they "Force me" to get an AWD option, it just means it is only available at higher trims, which might include options I don't 100% need. My blender has 20 different settings, I only use 3 of them...That's how it has always been with most things we buy.

Unlike AWD, V2L is almost impossible to install aftermarket, so GM needs to think if they want all the trims to jump in price, or offer it at the higher trims only. I think they made the right call. As for AWD standard on 3LT/3RS, I think they did that to keep their trim line coherent. Imagine someone driving a 3RS that handles worse than a 1LT eAWD...That would be kind of embarrassing.

They actually give much more control over options compared to other brands of EVs I looked at. Most of these have 2 trim levels and almost no options to add. Here, you get 5 trims, with 9 options that are not "forced" on you (not included in any trim), many add-on options for the 2LT, and the important basic add-on options (eAWD and extended range) for the 1LT. I didn't see any brand come even close to this type of free selection.
View attachment 253

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This article says AWD is optional on the 3RS. But who knows? We are all getting our information from blogs on the internet rather than from GM.

Here's the quote and the article:

The Equinox EV 3RS comes standard with the front-wheel-drive powertrain and long-range battery. This combination is rated at 210 horsepower and 242 pound-feet of torque, while range sits at an estimated 300 miles. This trim cannot be ordered with the standard range battery, which is exclusive to the 1LT trim. It can be equipped with the available eAWD system, which bumps output to 290 horsepower and 346 pound-feet of torque, with range sitting at 280 miles.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2022/09/2024-chevy-equinox-ev-3rs-the-sport-inspired-range-topper/

1 - 20 of 39 Posts