Chevy Equinox EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Volt LT with 7.2 kW Charger
66 Posts
The Ultium platform shows some problems already. Hope they will be all figured out by the time the Equinox is out.

Nothing wrong with the battery and the issue has already been fixed on the manufacturing side... It dealt with how the two halves of the clam shell were sealed together. GM is just currently putting a plan together on how to resolve it on the vehicles already out in the wild.

·
Administrator
277 Posts
The parts that allowed moisture intrusion where made by Magna International. Magna are making the Fisker Ocean EV and Ford EV's.

the manufacturer of the battery case <is> Magna International, and GM reports that changes in the seal procedure were implemented in August, as it investigated the issue
I hope Magna is paying for the recall.

GM is just currently putting a plan together on how to resolve it on the vehicles already out in the wild.
Hence the somewhat slower ramp up on these vehicles. Catch issues before too many need to be fixed,

Still, we saw what happened when a supplier screwed the pooch on the Bolt. It cost LG billions to remedy but also gave GM some bad headlines. I'm sure GM's not thrilled with Magna at the moment. During the wave of industry air bag recalls, the car makers were not being blamed, Takata (the supplier) was. Here, GM is getting kicked when it should be Magna, the supplier.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The parts that allowed moisture intrusion where made by Magna International. Magna are making the Fisker Ocean EV and Ford EV's.

I hope Magna is paying for the recall.

Hence the somewhat slower ramp up on these vehicles. Catch issues before too many need to be fixed,

Still, we saw what happened when a supplier screwed the pooch on the Bolt. It cost LG billions to remedy but also gave GM some bad headlines. I'm sure GM's not thrilled with Magna at the moment. During the wave of industry air bag recalls, the car makers were not being blamed, Takata (the supplier) was. Here, GM is getting kicked when it should be Magna, the supplier.
People who purchase the car don't really care who's to blame. They're not investors in the company, they just want to drive the car. You can drive a car with defective airbags, you can't drive one with a bad battery. Heck, it's even worse when it's a 3rd party supplier, because that usually means a more cumbersome (and lengthy) recall process. But in this case, it seems like a much simpler fix than the LG case... Just sealing the case better.

My only problem is, in the future, when we replace a bad Ultium module (brick) out of the pack when the warranty express, we are at the mercy of one service tech to seal it back up correctly. If they wouldn't, the entire pack is gone, and the dealer will probably just shake it off and tell you it's not their fault, and that you have to pay for a full battery pack now.

·
Administrator
277 Posts
You can drive a car with defective airbags, you can't drive one with a bad battery.
Of course the defective airbag could seriously injure or kill you, other than that.... My mother drove worried for 6 months waiting for her airbag replacement. That takes an emotional toll.

we are at the mercy of one service tech to seal it back up correctly.
You can say the same about any service a dealer performs whether on a gas engine, AC, transmission, brakes, etc. If the dealer does not seal the battery pack properly and there is water intrusion, it will be hard to pin that on you. Not that some would not try. There are good and bad dealers of course and "stealership" was coined for a reason.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Fisker and Magna will build a plant in the US for future Oceans (perhaps for the Ronin too).
The plant might build for other makes too. The PEAR will be made with Foxconn in Lordstown, OH.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Of course the defective airbag could seriously injure or kill you, other than that.... My mother drove worried for 6 months waiting for her airbag replacement. That takes an emotional toll.

You can say the same about any service a dealer performs whether on a gas engine, AC, transmission, brakes, etc. If the dealer does not seal the battery pack properly and there is water intrusion, it will be hard to pin that on you. Not that some would not try. There are good and bad dealers of course and "stealership" was coined for a reason.
"Driving worried" is still driving though. And if a tech does a mistake, it's usually maybe a few hundred dollars... The battery is about 10-15K. I don't want to go in with one bad module, and then need an entirely new battery.

It seems like it's a highly skilled job resealing that shell.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Duct tape should do the job! 😜
That's exactly what I'm afraid of.

If someone does a bad break job, I'll notice it right away, but bad sealing might take months to actually cause a real fault (depends how bad it is). So if a year after, my battery is shorting out, the dealer will say it's because the car\shell is old.

I just hope they'll improve it to be a "foolproof" sealing process, like a special gasket that only aligns the correct way (up-down and side-side), and not an rtv-type sealer that is only good as the person who applied it (and removed the old residue).

·
Administrator
277 Posts
Duct tape should do the job! 😜
You are thinking of Tesla, not GM:

In September 2020, Tesla owners shared what seemed to be the worst example of jerry-rigging we had ever seen. A brand-new Model Y had wood pieces and a plastic belt to hold its liquid-cooled condenser (LCC) – a component of its heat pump – in place. It was not clear if the car came from the factory like that or if that was something a Tesla Service Center did. In the end, it does not matter, as it doesn’t matter with the latest jerry-rigging episode from the company: repairing a car with duct tape.
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...s-car-was-repaired-with-duct-tape-196413.html

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
145 Posts
LOL... Another reason not to get a Tesla. Imagine waiting 4 months for a service, then getting that kind of "fix" for your problem.

We need dealers to fix cars, and manufacturers to sell directly... That's a model I'll sign up for.
I bet within 30 years or less from now, or even sooner Musk will send you a download to 3-D print your car from your own home, lol.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Which EQ are you thinking of getting?
Too early to know.

If LT3 AWD will be 48K (CAD), then that. If not, 1LT long range with AWD (if AWD is less than 4K CAD option), if not, 1LT long range FWD.

The 2LT seems like the worst deal, since all you get is the longer range and roof rails... For anything else, you'll have to pay extra. But I won't know that for sure until I'll see the price list.

·
Administrator
277 Posts
Yes, price will affect choices unless the poll is based on "if price was not a factor". In that case I'd be looking at the Cadillac Lyriq or something else.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, price will affect choices unless the poll is based on "if price was not a factor". In that case I'd be looking at the Cadillac Lyriq or something else.
"If price is not a choice", then there's pretty much no survey about the equinox. I'd get a triple garage, a hummer, and an f150 lightning.

You can do a pole with "if the LT1 was $X, LT2 was $Y, and LT3 was $Z, which one would you get. I'll even approve you including the RS trims 🤪... But I'm not paying extra for some colors.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I think the extras with the 2LT over the 1LT are:
  • 17.7-inch-diagonal infotainment2 screen
  • Front LED light bar
  • Roof rails
  • Heated outside mirrors
  • long range battery
  • access to a number of options.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts