Chevy Equinox EV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a few years, the Chinese company NIO has provided customers the ability to swap out an uncharged battery for a charged battery. The switch only takes a few minutes thus saving the driver a lot of time on long trips. The only drawback is if the station no longer has any fresh batteries to provide. This would be an ideal solution until batteries can provide an even longer range.

Do you think it is a good idea?

Note- the presentation is in Dutch but you can select the translation feature if needed.

· Registered
2019 Chevy Volt LT with 7.2 kW Charger
147 Posts
This has been talked about for ages but this won't fly in the US as Battery Technology and form factor are ways Manufactures can differentiate and doing this would force the industry into adopting one battery for all that wouldn't fit many needs.

· Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This has been talked about for ages but this won't fly in the US as Battery Technology and form factor are ways Manufactures can differentiate and do this would force the industry into adopting one battery for all that wouldn't fit many needs.
I also heard that some European countries might also think about using an electromagnetic field to charge cars while on the roadway.

· Administrator
585 Posts
So my first road trip a week after purchase and I lose my brand new battery when it gets replaced at one of these stations (potentially with one that's seen a lot of wear and tear)?
I'm guessing that the unit then recharges my brand new battery and gives it to another driver in a few hours.

· Registered
7 Posts
I also heard that some European countries might also think about using an electromagnetic field to charge cars while on the roadway.
Wireless charging roadway would be great from S Las Vegas to Primm where you get 12 miles of traffic backed up as people return to LA. Perhaps extending all the way up the mountain to Valley Wells Rest Are would be even better. On the N bound, wireless road charging from Valley Wells Rest Area to the peak could save a stop at Baker on the way to Vegas.

Not sure battery swap would work well in this scenario due to the high demand during these periods. The first x# of EVs would get the swap and everyone else after that would still have to DCFC.

· Administrator
585 Posts
Not sure battery swap would work well in this scenario due to the high demand during these periods. The first x# of EVs would get the swap and everyone else after that would still have to DCFC.

Depends on how many fully charged batteries Nio keeps on hand for Nio cars. They may only need a handful initially.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts