Chevy Equinox EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's too early to know the actual service schedule, but does anyone have any ideas about routine maintenance for the Equinox EV. I'll start below:
  • Monthly check tire pressures
  • Monthly do a walk around verifying all the exterior lights are working
  • Rotate/balance tires every 5,000 miles. GM will probably say 7,500 but I find that too long for tire longevity.
  • Annually check the cabin air filter, replace only if needed
  • Starting at 3 years, test the DOT3 brake fluid and replace if needed. Once replaced, resume testing in 3 years.
  • Replace wiper blades as needed
  • Replace tires as needed
  • Annually condition leather and rubber seals
  • Every 5 years replace the battery & electronics coolant. GM has a 10-year version of dexCool; maybe we'll get lucky and this will be the version we get.
Dealerships are going to hate GM's transition to EVs as they'll lose half their revenue.

Reactions: Jim99

· Administrator
588 Posts
The Bolt EUV would be a good reference.

Maintenance Schedule

Every 12 000 km (7,500 mi)
  • Tire Rotation
  • Multi-Point Vehicle Inspection (MPVI)
    • Diagnostics
      • OnStar active, if equipped .
      • Service history/recall check
    • Exterior Lights
      • Visual inspection
    • Windshield and Wipers
      • Visual inspection
    • Battery
      • Battery visual inspection
      • Battery test results
      • Battery cables and connections
    • Systems, Fluids, and Visible Leak Inspection
      • Electric Drive Unit
      • Drive axle
      • Transfer case
      • Power electronics cooling system
      • Windshield washer fluid
    • Tire Inspection
      • Tire pressure, tread depth, and wear . Rotation, if applicable
        Alignment check, optional
        Reset tire pressure monitor
      • Check tire sealant expiration date, if equipped
      • Check spare tire, if equipped
    • Brakes
      • Check brake system
    • Visible and Functional Inspections
    • Seat belt components
    • Accelerator pedal
    • Passenger compartment air filter, if equipped .
      • HosesShocks and struts
      • Steering components
      • Axle boots or driveshaft and u-joints
      • Compartment lift struts, if equipped
      • Floor mats secured, no interference with pedals
      • Horn
      • Starter switch
    • Lubricate
      Chassis components

Every 36 000 km (22,500 mi)
Replace passenger compartment air filter. Or every 24 months, whichever comes first.

Every 161 000 km (100,000 mi)
Replace hood and/or body lift support gas struts. Or every 10 years, whichever comes first.

Every 240 000 km (150,000 mi)
Drain and fill vehicle coolant circuits. Or every five years, whichever comes first.

Every Five Years
Replace brake fluid.

Every Seven Years
Replace Air Conditioning Desiccant every seven years.

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Out of curiosity, how many of those 7,500 mile interval services do you actually have done? I suspect very few people will do these services.

· Registered
215 Posts
The Bolt EUV would be a good reference.

Maintenance Schedule

Every 12 000 km (7,500 mi)
  • Tire Rotation
  • Multi-Point Vehicle Inspection (MPVI)
    • Diagnostics
      • OnStar active, if equipped .
      • Service history/recall check
    • Exterior Lights
      • Visual inspection
    • Windshield and Wipers
      • Visual inspection
    • Battery
      • Battery visual inspection
      • Battery test results
      • Battery cables and connections
    • Systems, Fluids, and Visible Leak Inspection
      • Electric Drive Unit
      • Drive axle
      • Transfer case
      • Power electronics cooling system
      • Windshield washer fluid
    • Tire Inspection
      • Tire pressure, tread depth, and wear . Rotation, if applicable
        Alignment check, optional
        Reset tire pressure monitor
      • Check tire sealant expiration date, if equipped
      • Check spare tire, if equipped
    • Brakes
      • Check brake system
    • Visible and Functional Inspections
    • Seat belt components
    • Accelerator pedal
    • Passenger compartment air filter, if equipped .
      • HosesShocks and struts
      • Steering components
      • Axle boots or driveshaft and u-joints
      • Compartment lift struts, if equipped
      • Floor mats secured, no interference with pedals
      • Horn
      • Starter switch
    • Lubricate
      Chassis components
So, in order to keep the warranty valid, I'll have to pay the dealer to look at the vehicle every 7500 miles?

· Administrator
588 Posts
So, in order to keep the warranty valid, I'll have to pay the dealer to look at the vehicle every 7500 miles?
The post was about what needs to be performed, not who needs to do it. Nothing in there says it must be a dealer. If you don't use a dealer you should keep records:

Maintenance Records
After the scheduled services are performed, record the date, odometer reading, who performed the service, and the type of services performed in the boxes provided. Retain all maintenance receipts.
For example, will your warranty be gone if you don't hire the dealer to rotate your tires? No. Will the battery warranty be gone if you don't use the dealer to change a light bulb? Nope.

Now, let's say you decide to drop the battery pack, poke around inside and the thing flames on. There will be no warranty coverage for a new battery.

Let's say you mod the car in some way, like by-passing a sensor. That might affect the warranty if they can trace a resulting issue to your mod. They may also refuse to service some part of the car until the mod is removed and the car is back in original condition.

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

· Registered
215 Posts
The post was about what needs to be performed, not who needs to do it. Nothing in there says it must be a dealer. If you don't use a dealer you should keep records:

For example, will your warranty be gone if you don't hire the dealer to rotate your tires? No. Will the battery warranty be gone if you don't use the dealer to change a light bulb? Nope.

Now, let's say you decide to drop the battery pack, poke around inside and the thing flames on. There will be no warranty coverage for a new battery.

Let's say you mod the car in some way, like by-passing a sensor. That might affect the warranty if they can trace a resulting issue to your mod. They may also refuse to service some part of the car until the mod is removed and the car is back in original condition.

Because right now the only reason I do oil changes at a shop, is because my warranty makes me (doesn't have to be a dealer). I need a receipt by a professional.

Like, why would they trust me that I "inspected" all that list?

· Administrator
588 Posts
Because right now the only reason I do oil changes at a shop, is because my warranty makes me (doesn't have to be a dealer). I need a receipt by a professional.

Like, why would they trust me that I "inspected" all that list?
I do what the owners' manual says and note the date, miles, check off what's on the list, and if any of it needs something from a store, save the receipt. Chevy has not denied me any warranty work in the 5 years I've had the Bolt.

Other things like changing out brake fluid, etc. I could do but don't, I have the dealer do it.

Here's what Chevy says:
Your warranty could be voided if the systems and parts under warranty are damaged by any of the following:
  • Damage due to accident, misuse or alteration
  • Damage or corrosion due to environment, chemical treatments or aftermarket products
  • Damage due to insufficient or improper maintenance
  • Damage due to contaminated, improper, or poor-quality fuel
  • Damage due to impact (e.g., flying debris)
Chevrolet Owners | Warranty Information

Further:

Damage caused by failure to follow the recommended maintenance schedule intervals and/or failure to use or maintain proper fluids, or maintain fluids between recommended maintenance intervals, fuel, lubricants, or refrigerants recommended in the owner manual is not covered.

And:
Failure of or damage to components requiring replacement or repair due to vehicle use, wear, exposure, or lack of maintenance is not covered.

That's it. No requirement about paying your local mechanic, a dealer or your brother-in law. The owner's manual says keep records (an receipts if applicable).

https://www.chevrolet.com/bypass/pc...CHEV_WM_en_US_U_16451727B_2022AUG29_Rvsd1.pdf

· Registered
215 Posts
I do what the owners' manual says and note the date, miles, check off what's on the list, and if any of it needs something from a store, save the receipt. Chevy has not denied me any warranty work in the 5 years I've had the Bolt.

Other things like changing out brake fluid, etc. I could do but don't, I have the dealer do it.

Here's what Chevy says:
Your warranty could be voided if the systems and parts under warranty are damaged by any of the following:
  • Damage due to accident, misuse or alteration
  • Damage or corrosion due to environment, chemical treatments or aftermarket products
  • Damage due to insufficient or improper maintenance
  • Damage due to contaminated, improper, or poor-quality fuel
  • Damage due to impact (e.g., flying debris)
Chevrolet Owners | Warranty Information

Further:

Damage caused by failure to follow the recommended maintenance schedule intervals and/or failure to use or maintain proper fluids, or maintain fluids between recommended maintenance intervals, fuel, lubricants, or refrigerants recommended in the owner manual is not covered.

And:
Failure of or damage to components requiring replacement or repair due to vehicle use, wear, exposure, or lack of maintenance is not covered.

That's it. No requirement about paying your local mechanic, a dealer or your brother-in law. The owner's manual says keep records (an receipts if applicable).

https://www.chevrolet.com/bypass/pc...CHEV_WM_en_US_U_16451727B_2022AUG29_Rvsd1.pdf
Yeah, but you haven't been in a point when you needed repairs that requires you proof of maintenance. What I really need, is to find someone who did what you have, and got an engine\tranny\EV battery (that needed service per the manual) replaced under warranty.

· Administrator
588 Posts
What I really need, is to find someone who did what you have, and got an engine\tranny\EV battery (that needed service per the manual) replaced under warranty.
Yes, I figured things like actual facts and warranty details would not be enough to counter your belief. Anyway, my battery was replaced under warranty, no issues.

· Registered
215 Posts
Yes, I figured things like actual facts and warranty details would not be enough to counter your belief. Anyway, my battery was replaced under warranty, no issues.
Then why do you even respond then?

I was denied warranty and had to legally fight it 2-3 times already, so I don't really believe cooperations writings, I believe their actions. Now they stopped fighting me, but only because they know I fight back.

Was the battery the Bolt one? because then it was already a recall. I worked at Mazda right across a Hyundai dealer, that denied lots of engine warranty, even though the Theta 2 were known to be garbage. They told (some) customers that since they don't have their service history, they won't give them a new engine.

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I worked at Mazda right across a Hyundai dealer, that denied lots of engine warranty, even though the Theta 2 were known to be garbage. They told (some) customers that since they don't have their service history, they won't give them a new engine.
I've heard nothing but horror stories about getting Hyundai/Kia to honor their warranties. Needless to say based on these stories I'll never buy a vehicle from either.

· Registered
287 Posts

· Administrator
588 Posts
Then why do you even respond then?

I was denied warranty and had to legally fight it 2-3 times already, so I don't really believe cooperations writings, I believe their actions. Now they stopped fighting me, but only because they know I fight back.

Was the battery the Bolt one? because then it was already a recall. I worked at Mazda right across a Hyundai dealer, that denied lots of engine warranty, even though the Theta 2 were known to be garbage. They told (some) customers that since they don't have their service history, they won't give them a new engine.
I recommend you take the car into a Chevy dealer for everything for your own piece of mind. Not that that will guarantee anything. Dealers can simply say it's not covered regardless. There are good and bad dealers. The bad ones are called stealerships for good reason.

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I recommend you take the car into a Chevy dealer for everything for your own piece of mind. Not that that will guarantee anything. Dealers can simply say it's not covered regardless. There are good and bad dealers. The bad ones are called stealerships for good reason.
This ^^^. The best way to ensure you get good service in general, and warranty coverage specifically, is have a good relationship with your local service department. One way to do this is take your car in for routine maintenance and talk to the service advisors.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts