Chevy Equinox EV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can see how making it feel like gears are changing and racing sounds on a high performance electric cars could be cool, but I personally would not want fake feelings and sounds.

I think the feeling of being pushed back in your seat in silence, has it’s own coolness.

· Administrator
587 Posts
Because people don't like a smooth ride and they prefer a racket, lol. Yes, seems like a gimmick. What's next, making fake exhaust smoke?

It would be like early Model T's offering a variety of Horse Modes to choose from: Saunter, Gallop, Bucking. To simulate riding the horse the car replaced your seats (and you) would be thrown about as you drove. And every so often the car would take a wet sawdust dump on the road for the full effect...

· Registered
153 Posts
I loved my manual transmissions and will always miss them. However, EVs are a different beast and simply don't need or warrant a simulated manual.

Reactions: Mapleev

· Administrator
587 Posts
I loved my manual transmissions and will always miss them. However, EVs are a different beast and simply don't need or warrant a simulated manual.
Glad I learned to drive with a clutch, but don't really miss it. My clutch foot would sometimes get sore.

· Registered
153 Posts
Glad I learned to drive with a clutch, but don't really miss it. My clutch foot would sometimes get sore.
My right hand still looks for the stick (shift). It took a few years of driving an automatic to figure out why when I got into heavy traffic I would pick up whatever I was drinking (usually a 12oz can of Diet Pepsi) and hold it in my right hand.

• Haha
Reactions: Steverino

· Registered
34 Posts
I do miss a stick, but I’ve adapted quite well to my Bolt EV with its smooth and steady acceleration. Also, I think I enjoy the silence of an electric motor more than the roar of the engine.

· Registered
153 Posts
EVs have in spades the one thing a manual transmission provided - instant response to the throttle. ICEV automatic slushboxes always have some delay in response.

· Registered
65 Posts
One of the interesting things learned from hanging around EV conversion folk in the early 90s was how quickly they just gave up shifting. Almost all the cars were built out of good bodies/transmissions and blown engines ("rollers" was a common term). So since making an automatic transmission even work was vastly more complicated, the drive motor was just sleeved right onto a manual transmission that came with the car, firmly affixed in place, and it was done. So the driver had the whole range of gears available. What they found, though, is in daily use, they ended up using the transmission exactly like an automatic: They used Neutral, Reverse, and (typically) 2nd gear, and that was all. The electric motor was perfectly happy revving up far enough to make 2nd plenty for normal highway speed, it was torquey enough that starting in second didn't lag it at all, and since it could spin down to zero, there wasn't even any need to put the clutch out at stops. Once they were out of the driveway, they wouldn't touch it until they were at their destinations, if then.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts