Chevy Equinox EV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Administrator
587 Posts
I suspect some buyers will be happy to spend on an EV that's not tied to a toxic personality. And I'm sure some will buy a Tesla because of it. My interest in buying a Tesla is zero at this point. I don't want to be associated with the guy.

· Registered
28 Posts
I was interested in a Model Y a little over a year ago when the price was closer to $50,000 and with whispers of the price cap being lifted with what eventually passed with the IRA, I was seriously considering it if it would bring the price closer to $45,000. However, after a colleague let me ride in and drive their Model Y and test driving some other cars, the ride quality is just better elsewhere.

· Registered
153 Posts
I suspect some buyers will be happy to spend on an EV that's not tied to a toxic personality. And I'm sure some will buy a Tesla because of it. My interest in buying a Tesla is zero at this point. I don't want to be associated with the guy.
My interest in Tesla has been zero for a number of years. The only vehicle they make that I'd be interested in is the Model S and I'm not going to spend that type of money on a car. All other Tesla models just don't interest me as I find them visually unappealing.

Reactions: Jim99

· Registered
34 Posts
As I’m not a stockholder of Tesla, their stock price is irrelevant to me. Also, my purchases of automobiles and any other product is solely based on the quality and features of the product at a price point I can afford. Much of the decline in Tesla stock is a result of weaker than expected worldwide sales. Based on the P/E of other automakers, Tesla stock was overinflated.

Note that Elon Musk owns only 14% of Tesla stock. CEOs of all companies have view points that you or I might disagree with, but we still buy their products in many cases. We all think differently and we make decisions every day based on opinions. Don’t we all have views that differ from others?

Tesla has been innovative and a pioneer in the field of electric EVs due to Elon Musk and this has been the primary driver. This is what I believe has moved other auto manufacturers to produce electric vehicles. Would I buy a Tesla? Nope! It’s out of my price range.

However, I feel Tesla has gotten stale with their product offerings and they now have some serious competition to contend with. This is where Tesla needs to further innovative or they will continue to sink. The GM slogan of “EVs for Everybody” should scare the heck out of Tesla should GM and the rest of the competition bring out better and affordable EVs. I believe this is why we are seeing Tesla stock continuing to decline.

Anyway, this is just my opinion. There’s no right or wrong here, but thanks for letting me share.

· Administrator
587 Posts
CEOs of all companies have view points that you or I might disagree with, but we still buy their products in many cases.
I give him credit for pushing EV's and SpaceX. His ego is getting the better of him at this point.

One big difference is most CEO's are smart enough to keep their views private rather than tweeting them out. Musk has become more of a loose canon. Whether it's tweets or deciding on a what looks like a whim to buy Twitter and waiving due diligence. His tweets ran afoul of the SEC. And his recklessness is also why he ended up being forced to buy Twitter at a steep premium and now seems to be making a mess of it.

The market is looking at the halt in Chinese production, the slowing global economy which will affect Tesla's growing inventory and slowing sales leading to discounts, and asking who is driving the car? Where's Musk? He's over at Twitter changing colors of checkmarks.

· Registered
153 Posts
I give him credit for pushing EV's and SpaceX. His ego is getting the better of him at this point.

One big difference is most CEO's are smart enough to keep their views private rather than tweeting them out. Musk has become more of a loose canon. Whether it's tweets or deciding on a what looks like a whim to buy Twitter and waiving due diligence. His tweets ran afoul of the SEC. And his recklessness is also why he ended up being forced to buy Twitter at a steep premium and now seems to be making a mess of it.
So true. SpaceX just launched and recovered their 159th 1st stage booster last night. It was the 60th launch of 2022 and they recovered all 59 boosters they planned to recover. Three boosters, FH center booster and two F9 boosters, were expended due to mission parameters.

The market is looking at the halt in Chinese production, the slowing global economy which will affect, Tesla's growing inventory and slowing sales leading to discounts, and asking who is driving the car? Where's Musk? He's over at Twitter changing colors of checkmarks.
The media is looking for any reason to diss Tesla. What's going on in Shanghai is scheduled end of year assembly line maintenance. All car companies take their assembly lines down for periodic maintenance and the media basically ignores them. When Tesla does this they start screaming Tesla's failing.

· Administrator
587 Posts
The media is looking for any reason to diss Tesla.
Egged on by short sellers no doubt...

On the other hand, the stock is not based on financials as much as betting on the future. So much of Tesla's price is speculative. GM on the other hand is viewed as a dividend stock, something Mary Barra is working to change. Problem is, the analysts have been skeptical about GM being able to pull off its EV for Everyone goal and its autonomous vehicle efforts. In fact they dinged the stock after the plans and progress were laid out. They can't wrap their heads around GM being in the same market as Tesla.

· Registered
215 Posts
Egged on by short sellers no doubt...

On the other hand, the stock is not based on financials as much as betting on the future. So much of Tesla's price is speculative. GM on the other hand is viewed as a dividend stock, something Mary Barra is working to change. Problem is, the analysts have been skeptical about GM being able to pull off its EV for Everyone goal and its autonomous vehicle efforts. In fact they dinged the stock after the plans and progress were laid out. They can't wrap their heads around GM being in the same market as Tesla.

This 100%!

Tesla's p\e ratio is 40 (was 600 at some point). GM is at 5 (was 10 at some point). Tech is usually around 20, and car manufacturers are usually at 6-10.

So Tesla is STILL overvalued! Unless you're okay with buying something that is priced like 40 years of future earnings. That's almost biomed realm ratio.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts