Chevy Equinox EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been 100% sure I was going to buy a Hyundai Ioniq 5 until the Equinox EV came along. Now I am 90%+ sure I will get the Equinox EV. (Pending price and first reviews)

Today for the first time while driving my truck, I saw an Ioniq 5 on the road in front of me. To be honest it looked a little smaller than I expected. I have driven in an Ioniq 5 and there was lots of room inside, so the small size just might be in comparison to my mid sized truck.

I told my wife about my impressions and she asked how the Equinox EV compared in size. I looked it up.

The Ioniq 5 had a longer wheelbase by 1.7”, but the Eq EV was 8.4” longer, 1.4” wider and .5” taller.

8.4” longer is a fair amount. Just interesting.

· Registered
153 Posts
Still not as long as my old Pontiac Montana AWD.

· Registered
269 Posts
I had been 100% sure I was going to buy a Hyundai Ioniq 5 until the Equinox EV came along. Now I am 90%+ sure I will get the Equinox EV. (Pending price and first reviews)

Today for the first time while driving my truck, I saw an Ioniq 5 on the road in front of me. To be honest it looked a little smaller than I expected. I have driven in an Ioniq 5 and there was lots of room inside, so the small size just might be in comparison to my mid sized truck.

I told my wife about my impressions and she asked how the Equinox EV compared in size. I looked it up.

The Ioniq 5 had a longer wheelbase by 1.7”, but the Eq EV was 8.4” longer, 1.4” wider, and .5” taller.

8.4” longer is a fair amount. Just interesting.
Wow, I didn't realize how long the EQ is compared to the I5. I need to see if I am comfortable parking it in city areas.

· Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That diagonal crease has never thrilled me. Distinctive, yes, but I think the Equinox looks nicer.
Despite for a long while thinking the Ioniq 5 was the vehicle for me, I also never liked the diagonal crease and always thought it looked like it was in an accident. I also prefer the Equinox EV styling Exterior and interior.

· Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like the size of the Equinox EV. I don’t think it will feel like a large vehicle, but also that it will not feel like a small vehicle. Although most of my drives will be 20/25 minutes long, I want to feel comfortable in it on an all day trip as well.

· Administrator
585 Posts
I would really like a vehicle the size of the EUV. IF Chevy put it on their Ultium platform and pushed the range to 300 miles like the Equinox I would opt for it. Looking for a smaller quality EV.
Given that battery cost is the major component driving an EV's price, would an Ultium based 250 to 300 mile "Bolt" be priced much less than the Equinox EV?

I think an Ultium based Bolt replacement priced in the $25k range would fit a need and fit nicely into the "EV for Everyone" concept GM is advertising

I suspect GM would not be retrofitting the Ultium platform into the existing Bolt. Instead, they'd likely create a new car. Maybe they call it a Bolt, maybe not. It would be smaller than the Equinox EV, about the length of the current Bolt.

We really like our Bolt EV, and I'd recommend it for anyone looking for an affordable EV in the $26-$30k range with good range. The hitch is it's built on what will be (is?) old battery tech. In 8-10 years after the warranty has expired it could fall victim to the same lack of battery replacement modules as the Gen 1 Volt's are now starting to encounter. Having an Ultium-based version would eliminate that concern for me.

Alternatively, I could buy another Bolt today for maybe half the cost of the Equinox EV 3LT, drive it for 8 years and sell it. I could be money ahead doing that.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts