Chevy Equinox EV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EV rollouts in general have been at a snails pace and one has to wonder not what year you receive your newly ordered EV, but what decade. OK, that's an over statement. So in the case of the Equinox EV, GM says it's coming in Spring of 2024 for 2LT. So what exactly does that mean? Spring goes from late March to June.

So is GM stating Spring of 2024 is when you can order a 2LT? And if so could that happen in June of 2024? That's a long way away.

Or is GM stating Spring of 2024 is when you can expect delivery of a 2LT? That's more like it - wishful thinking?

Then getting more pessimistic could GM delay the Spring rollout until later in the year (2024)? Thus pushing back delivery dates who know when?

Going further

If Spring of 2024 is when you can order a new Equinox EV, how long will a buyer have to wait for delivery? A few weeks, a few months, six months or longer?

Saying a new EV will be available in Spring of 2024 is one thing. But having it delivered close to 2025 or after is completely another.

Just looking for a timeline that is buyer friendly versus delays from hell.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You can go to your dealer and reserve one now.

My expectations are that vehicles will be delivered in 2024, just like the RS model in the fall of 2023.
I expect to be driving a 3LT in the first half of 2024.

Having said that, a think GM’s timeline of producing EV’s overall has been pushed back because it is taking longer to train the skill workers to make the batteries and other components of EV’s and that could also push back deliveries of the Equinox EV.

·
Administrator
277 Posts
You are in line, but not through the door until the dealer places the order.

My expectations are that vehicles will be delivered in 2024
Right, deliveries will start sometime in March to June.

Having said that, a think GM’s timeline of producing EV’s overall has been pushed back because it is taking longer to train the skill workers to make the batteries and other components of EV’s and that could also push back deliveries of the Equinox EV.
Not finding a reason for the battery production delay, whether it's raw materials, worker training, or production line equipment issue. From October:

The automaker originally planned to produce 400,000 EVs by the end of 2023, but has now pushed that target back to mid-2024, according to the Wall Street Journal. GM pointed to a slow start at the Ultium Cells LLC battery plant in Ohio.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I agree it just gets you in line. Hopefully the dealer calls people to sign their contract in the order of the reservation list.

Barra noted that it had taken “longer than expected” to hire and train more than 1,000 workers that will staff its battery production plant in Warran, Ohio, Business Insider reports.
“It’s taken a little bit longer also from the battery pack assembly as well,” GM’s CEO said.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

My expectations are that vehicles will be delivered in 2024, just like the RS model in the fall of 2023.
I expect to be driving a 3LT in the first half of 2024.

Well I'm not sure GM dealerships are taking orders now for a few reasons. GM has not fully come out with pricing various styles and packages. Have you seen the base price for the 2RS? Don't think so and that model is supposed to be the first delivered. Have you seen the cost for option upgrades, like sun roof or automatic liftgate. Don't think so. So you saying anyone who wants a 2RS should go to dealer to reserve not knowing what the base price for EV nor the cost breakdown for accessories or upgrade. That to me is called "shopping blind".

·
Administrator
277 Posts
Well I'm not sure GM dealerships are taking orders now for a few reasons.
Reservations are not orders and are typically accompanied by a small, refundable deposit. It's an intention to buy rather than a contract/order.

I'm unsure how good they are as the dealer could still place an order for someone who did not place a "reservation".

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for follow up Steverino. Seems though if you put in a reservation you've pretty much told the dealer you willing to buy at any price and not discuss/haggle a probable MSRP increase. On the other hand if a reservation can be cancelled at any time by buyer with no penalty fee, then it could be a safe move. Just saying I'm going to have to see how Chevy prices things across the board before I go fishing or cut bait.

·
Administrator
277 Posts
Thanks for follow up Steverino. Seems though if you put in a reservation you've pretty much told the dealer you willing to buy at any price and not discuss/haggle a probable MSRP increase. On the other hand if a reservation can be cancelled at any time by buyer with no penalty fee, then it could be a safe move.
My thoughts as well. They know you are interested, but if the ($100?) fee is refundable they know you can walk away. Just make sure to read the reservation doc like a lawyer (so you won't need one later).

·
Registered
146 Posts
My $100 deposit for my reservation is refundable.

I personally do not see the harm in making a reservation if you are half serious about buying it and want one relatively soon in 2024.

I still want to read first reviews and hopefully sit in one, before making an order.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My dealer took my money and a day or so later their customer care person followed up with me.

In the end it may not mean anything we will see. The other person that I know who also made a reservation was also at a Canadian dealer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I talked to a couple of local dealers and none even wanted to take a reservation…
I think it way too early for a reservation for the EV Equinox. Kind of like the chicken before the egg. No pricing established. Gm having a hard time providing battery for current EV's. Mexico manufacturing plant still unfinished. Etc.

On that last subject. Anyone have a concern about the Equinox being made in Mexico? Just wonder about quality of workmanship, though Bots do most of the work.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My feeling is there will be a larger demand for the Equinox than any other EV so far. Putting down a refundable $100 deposit now cannot hurt. If the reviews on the car are poor once they can be driven, I will just ask for my $100 back. If they are good, my hope is that with the allocation my dealer gets, I will be one of the first to get a vehicle out of their allocation.

Essentially you are positioning yourself in your dealers allocation list. And if in the end you decide you do not want the car, get your deposit back and walk off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I’ll have to check with a couple of Chevy dealers in my area, and also at the one where I bought my Bolt, to see if they’re maintaining a reservation list at this time. As long as any deposit is 100% refundable for any reason, then I would likely go forward.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Everyone is on about how the deposit is refundable...Hell, even if it isn't, it's $100, it's not like any of us will take them to court if they wouldn't give us the $100 back.

*I placed a reservation at 2 dealers (I'm 400ish in line at one, and 50ish on the other). Both told me it's refundable. The call was recorded.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts