Chevy Equinox EV Forum banner

Which option Will you get, IF the prices were(In USD): LT1= 31K, LT2 37K , RS2=40K, LT3=44K, RS3=47K

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

· Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Votes CAN be changed at any point! Please read the specs to make an informed decision.

This is the info we got so far on trims ("*" represents the Canadian version). I stole the PDF from someone here and updated it according to new information.
Got the updated info straight from the Canadian Chevy press release:

Attachments

· Registered
269 Posts
Thanks for participating. Please notice prices are in USD, and you can change your vote at any time ("Change Vote" tab at the bottom right of the option selection area).
I wish those prices were Canadian, lol. They seem a little high. The 3RS gets the quickest charging at home with the special upgrade option. If I were to get the 3LT I guess I would have to plug it in at home 1 hour earlier over the 3 RS to catch up with it.

· Registered
269 Posts
I still hope the 3LT is under $50,000 Cdn, but I am starting to really fall for the Equinox EV, and not to repeat myself, as long as it gets good reviews, I will choose it over the Ioniq 5.

if it turns out to be $52,000 and has great reviews, I likely will choose it.
I also like the EV6/Hyundai I5 but all said and done it costs $60,000 USD. It will be $7,500 less when the US program allows for that amount to be automatically deducted from MSRP in a few years.

· Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I still hope the 3LT is under $50,000 Cdn, but I am starting to really fall for the Equinox EV, and not to repeat myself, as long as it gets good reviews, I will chose it over the Ioniq 5.

if it turns out to be $52,000 and has great reviews, I likely will choose it.
I'm had almost identical thinking to yours. My cutoff for the 3LT AWD is 49K CAD. If that's not coming true, I'll see if I'll get the 1LT or 2LT... Or maybe a completely different car, because who knows what's going to happen in 2 years.

· Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wish those prices were Canadian, lol. They seem a little high. The 3RS gets the quickest charging at home with the special upgrade option. If I were to get the 3LT I guess I would have to plug it in at home 1 hour earlier over the 3 RS to catch up with it.
I hope you're right and they are cheaper. My reasoning is:

A. The 2LT has the larger range, so I think that's the highest option out of the list. So let's say that's about 3K (USD). Then, there's the 17" screen, that's another 1K. Roof rails=$500, lightbar=$500. That's the 5K difference I see. I made it 6K because I think they might be greedier.

Now, the 2RS is the same, but with an interior+exterior beauty package, and it will be the first to be released, so I've put a 3K markup on it

The 3LT adds a lot over the 2LT:
Larger wheels and tires=$700
Wiper park heater= $500
Power passenger seat=$800
Ventilated seats=$1000
Heated rear seats=$800
Dual zone climate=$800
Adaptive cruise control=$600
HD surround vision=$800
Presence-based lift gate= $1200 (if comparing to a manual one, $400 if comparing to an electric "dumb" one).

That's how I got 3LT=2LT+$7000

Now, the 3RS is a beauty package again, so 3K extra again.

If I seemed to exaggerate in something, please let me know.

· Registered
269 Posts
I hope you're right and they are cheaper. My reasoning is:

A. The 2LT has the larger range, so I think that's the highest option out of the list. So let's say that's about 3K (USD). Then, there's the 17" screen, that's another 1K. Roof rails=$500, lightbar=$500. That's the 5K difference I see. I made it 6K because I think they might be greedier.

Now, the 2RS is the same, but with an interior+exterior beauty package, and it will be the first to be released, so I've put a 3K markup on it

The 3LT adds a lot over the 2LT:
Larger wheels and tires=$700
Wiper park heater= $500
Power passenger seat=$800
Ventilated seats=$1000
Heated rear seats=$800
Dual-zone climate=$800
Adaptive cruise control=$600
HD surround vision=$800
Presence-based lift gate= $1200 (if compared to a manual one, $400 if compared to an electric "dumb" one).

That's how I got 3LT=2LT+$7000

Now, the 3RS is a beauty package again, so 3K extra again.

If I seemed to exaggerate something, please let me know.
You're 100% right about the wheel size as the limiting factor for range/distance(other than the car's general aerodynamics). On the IONIQ 5 forms, some members/buyers/guests want the Limited (higher trim name in the US) with the 19-inch wheel over the standard ones for more range.
I believe even on the higher trims, GM still has additional options like the sunroof. That might run another $1,800 (USD). The one thing that I like about Honda is that there are no options. If you want the sunroof all you need to do is go to the EX trim. GM and many others like Jeep for example don't have a gradual trim to features scale. Instead, options are all over the place and even on the higher trims.

I am a sucker for gizmos like the rear camera mirror and even the sunroof. I know by getting these features adds more of a risk of something going wrong. And I am not sure how times I will actually use it but at the same time, the child in me can get a little greedy, lol.

· Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You're 100% right about the wheel size as the limiting factor for range/distance(other than the car's general aerodynamics). On the IONIQ 5 forms, some members/buyers/guests want the Limited (higher trim name in the US) with the 19-inch wheel over the standard ones for more range.
I believe even on the higher trims, GM still has additional options like the sunroof. That might run another $1,800 (USD). The one thing that I like about Honda is that there are no options. If you want the sunroof all you need to do is go to the EX trim. GM and many others like Jeep for example don't have a gradual trim to features scale. Instead, options are all over the place and even on the higher trims.

I am a sucker for gizmos like the rear camera mirror and even the sunroof. I know by getting these features adds more of a risk of something going wrong. And I am not sure how times I will actually use it but at the same time, the child in me can get a little greedy, lol.
Yes, I (intentionally) disregarded the options you have to pay for and not included in the trim.

For me, the important add-on (not included in ANY trim) are:

1. Sunroof that opens, because I vape, and that's the only way to vape on the highway without too much noise (use the "tilt" setting).

2. AWD, because I'm in the snow belt and because it's nice to have more power.

(Maybe) 3. heads up display, but only if it projects the speed limit and the signage.

The rest of what's important to me is in the 3LT and some in the 2LT. But I'll need to know how much the AWD is before I know how much I have left to put on the rest of the car.

My worst case scenario will be the 1LT with AWD and larger battery, but by the time it is out, I'll compare to the competition. If nothing large range and AWD is less than 48K CAD, I'll just get an ICE or a hybrid. I calculated this specific number because that means I break even on costs after 3 years. That's my cutoff point, and that's what I'm sticking with. I can get an outlander AWD for 40K after taxes. Considering the Quebec and federal rebate is AFTER taxes on the full price, it means I'll pay 42K after taxes and rebates if the equinox is 48K. The outlander is larger though, with 10-year drivetrain warranty (Chevy is only 8), and 5 years bumper to bumper (Chevy is only 3). So these should count as some price advantage as well.

· Administrator
585 Posts
I want max range, 300 miles, that's what I start with.

I am a sucker for gizmos like the rear camera mirror and even the sunroof.
The rear view mirror/camera on my Bolt is nice, though like one pedal driving it's not for everyone. I've had 2 cars with sunroofs. Both eventually had closing and leek problems. That one I can do without.

· Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've had 2 cars with sunroofs. Both eventually had closing and leek problems. That one I can do without.

My 2010 Santa Fe's sunroof still works perfectly, and I use it at least twice a week. But I park in a garage, so no UV damage to the seals\weatherstripping, and I put lithium grease on the rails channels every year.

· Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, anything below 300 miles is worth a turkey fart.
Yep. If you live somewhere cold, and keep your car for more than 7 years, take the mileage, deduct 10% just because it's never as claimed, then deduct 30% from the result for winter driving on the highway, then, from that result, deduct 30% for degradation after 8 years. So 300 miles claimed is 130 miles in winter, on the highway, after 8 years of ownership. If you're good with that, then great. I know I am.

Adjust these numbers of you're not in a cold climate, drive mostly in town, or keep the car only a few short years.

· Administrator
585 Posts
My and others experience with the Volt and Bolt has been that GM's EPA range numbers have been on the low, conservative side. Whether that will be true with the Chevy Equinox EV we don't know.

After 11 years of aging, my Volt has just now dropped into the EPA range for the car when it was new. Many of the Volt forum have reported higher than published range when new as well. No one has reported being below when the car was new except very aggressive formula 1 drivers.

I'm getting 300-330 on the Bolt which is higher than the EPA number. It will also depend on your driving style, tire pressure, etc. Jack rabbit starts, screaming into stops, driving at 100MPH, tires 3 PSI low, heat set to sweaty tropical beach will all reduce range.

For winter, based on my Bolt EV experience expect a 30% or so range loss, especially with snow tires on the car. Snow tires will cost you about 5 miles range, I'm fine with that safety vs. range tradeoff.

Hard to say how the Ultium heat pump will help lessen the range loss as neither the Volt or Bolt have that tech, just resistance heating. Of course that will have been factored into the EPA range numbers I think.

· Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My and others experience with the Volt and Bolt has been that GM's EPA range numbers have been on the low, conservative side. Whether that will be true with the Chevy Equinox EV we don't know.

After 11 years of aging, my Volt has just now dropped into the EPA range for the car when it was new. Many of the Volt forum have reported higher than published range when new as well. No one has reported being below when the car was new except very aggressive formula 1 drivers.

I'm getting 300-330 on the Bolt which is higher than the EPA number. It will also depend on your driving style, tire pressure, etc. Jack rabbit starts, screaming into stops, driving at 100MPH, tires 3 PSI low, heat set to sweaty tropical beach will all reduce range.

For winter, based on my Bolt EV experience expect a 30% or so range loss, especially with snow tires on the car. Snow tires will cost you about 5 miles range, I'm fine with that safety vs. range tradeoff.

Hard to say how the Ultium heat pump will help lessen the range loss as neither the Volt or Bolt have that tech, just resistance heating. Of course that will have been factored into the EPA range numbers I think.

Not really. I've seen how EPA is measured. They don't activate the heaters and other accessories.

Yes, you can beat EPA, but NEVER on the highway (with EVs), which is where we need our range the most. 10% under on the highway won't be considered a bad thing, because ICE cars are always reporting a better MPG than what you'll get as well

I do wonder how the heat pump will function in -20⁰c.

The volt isn't a full BEV, so I'm not sure we can use that to measure, but if we'll look at older BEVs, then it's all over the place. The leaf losses tons of range, while Tesla's lose maybe 15% after almost a decade. I was going for a "worst case scenario" just because I like to be surprised for the better than for the worst.

The Equinox is the first EV I ever considered buying just because of that. There's no other crossover, with that range, at that price.

· Administrator
585 Posts
Yes, you can beat EPA, but NEVER on the highway (with EVs), which is where we need our range the most. 10% under on the highway won't be considered a bad thing, because ICE cars are always reporting a better MPG than what you'll get as well
On the other hand, I was getting 45-48 miles for EPA rated 37. The Volt is a full EV until it runs out of battery. It's unlike PHEV's that are essentially gas powered with a battery assist. Think of a Tela pulling a trailer with a gasoline powered generator that's used to recharge the battery automatically when it's depleted. Instead of a trailer, the Volt puts the generator where a traditional engine would sit. The Volt counts the gas generated electrons as gas miles, not electric so they do not affect my numbers above.

· Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
On the other hand, I was getting 45-48 miles for EPA rated 37. The Volt is a full EV until it runs out of battery. It's unlike PHEV's that are essentially gas powered with a battery assist. Think of a Tela pulling a trailer with a gasoline powered generator that's used to recharge the battery automatically when it's depleted. Instead of a trailer, the Volt puts the generator where a traditional engine would sit. The Volt counts the gas generated electrons as gas miles, not electric so they do not affect my numbers above.
Ohh... Didn't know that. So you've beat the EPA highest estimate? If so, that IS impressive!

· Registered
287 Posts
AWD is a must for where I live and I have a long step driveway to make up in the winter.

I don’t want a sunroof and would be a negative for me if it came standard.

The only option that I might consider depending on price is:
  • Available head-up display and full-display camera mirror (with rear washer)
I will wait for the reviews before I decide if I want smaller than the 21” wheels that comes with the 3LT.

· Administrator
585 Posts
Ohh... Didn't know that. So you've beat the EPA highest estimate? If so, that IS impressive!
Yes, for about 9 years, then it started dropping. Now it's more in the 35-38 mile range. The Gen 2 Volts works a bit different as there are some times when the gas engine and battery are both used if the car determines it's more efficient than just battery. For both the gas engine acts as a built-in electric generator. The engineering is still beyond any PHEV out there, though some are better than others.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts