Chevy Equinox EV Forum banner

Will the Bolt be dead or reinvented when the Equinox EV comes out

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  TKEV 
#1 ·
In Canada, the Bolt EUV LT model starts for $43,147 and the Premier model starts for $46,647.

If the Equinox EV starts for $37,000 Cdn and the 3LT selling for closer to the Bolt EUV Premier price (a guess not a fact), why would many people buy the Bolt?

The three big mysteries regarding the Equinox EV for me are:
How much each model will cost?
What the first drive reviews will say about the EQ EV?
When exactly will each model be for sale?

I am 95% of the way there in buying the Equinox EV, but the 3LT has to be noticeably cheaper than the AWD Preferred Long Range Ioniq 5, it has to have good (not fantastic) first drive reviews. (Fantastic would be a very welcomed bonus) and the 3LT has to be available in 2024, hopefully before summer.

#2 ·
I suspect the Bolt will be cancelled once GM gets sufficient Equinox capacity. The reason for this is that the Bolt is not on the Ultium platform.

#3 ·
I'm honestly not sure if they'll get rid of the Bolt. I can see them stopping production of the Bolt EUV especially if the Equinox is around the same price, but the Bolt is just a different car for different needs - much smaller and great for in-city driving and short-medium local trips (given charging speeds). I could see them keeping the Bolt but dropping the price a little further to provide more options. The Silverado EV is probably going to sell like hot cakes, too, so they'll be able to afford to drop the Bolt price but keep it, maybe drop the EUV and by that point they'll already have other options available since they mentioned adding more to the line-up by 2026 (although that's GM altogether). I'm hoping for a 3LT but if it ends up costing as much as or close to the cost of an Ioniq 5 Limited AWD, I'll probably go with the Ioniq 5, but that's about $57,000 USD...so I kind of doubt the Equinox will get up to that cost. Even the 3RS doesn't really have added performance, so I could see the following:
1LT Base smaller battery: $30,000 USD
2LT FWD: $36,000
2LT AWD: $39,000
3LT FWD: $42,000
3LT AWD: $45,000
3RS maybe $50,000?

But I can't see it getting close to Ioniq 5 Limited AWD pricing right now.

Reactions: Kabloona
#5 ·
I hope your estimate of the different trim prices is overstated. Here are the Blazer EV prices for the different trims (excluding the SS trim which isn't comparable to the Equinox options):
1LT – $44,995
2LT – $47,595
RS – $51,995
You will notice there is only a $7,000 spread between the 1LT and RS prices. Even the gas Equinox has only a $5,000 spread from the lowest to the highest trim levels. Maybe I am being too optimistic but I'm still hopeful.

#4 ·
I suspect the Bolt as-is will be stopped, same as obermd. But, GM could come out with a "gen 3" Bolt built on the Ultium platform. It does fit an "EV for Everyone" segment. Its size is ideal for city dwellers as you point out CTAPRN. Not everyone needs a monster truck or SUV.

#12 ·
I hope GM does just this as it would eliminate the claim by the anti-EV folks that EVs are too expensive. By the way, I checked the price on an Equinox ICE over the weekend - $32K. It wasn't a top end trim either, so this tells me GM is serious about keeping the Equinox EV priced competitively with the Equinox ICEV.

Reactions: Kabloona
#8 ·
Car and Driver had estimated the following pricing, but I am sure they had no special insight:

USA. Canada (estimated other than 1LT)
1LT = $30,000. $37,250
2LT = $34,000. $42,000
3LT = $37,000. $46,000
2RS = $40,000. $49,000
3RS = $44,000. $53,000

#9 ·
Yeah I think they’re forgetting that there’s a base 1LT and then the FWD with bigger battery and then AWD with bigger battery, so I think there will be the very cheap 1LT FWD Small battery and then things will climb up more regularly in a stepwise fashion from the1LT FWD. wouldn’t be surprised if there’s actually a $2,500-3,000 jump to the larger battery and then some overlap i.e.AWD of the step lower being around the same price or more than theFWD of the step above. Looking forward to when they announce more!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.