Chevy Equinox EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious as to the performance / quality expectations everyone here has for this new Equinox EV? I ask this in the light of all the recent recalls of many of the newly released EV's & older ICE vehicles. Speaking only for myself I have learned the hard way to avoid the first year of any new vehicle. Even though the Equinox is being piggybacked on the GM corporate "skateboard" there are still a lot of "build" aspects that unfortunately will have to be sorted out by early owners initial experiences / issues. I would like to hear your thoughts about this topic and let's kick it around some.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was just curious as to the performance / quality expectations everyone here has for this new Equinox EV? I ask this in the light of all the recent recalls of many of the newly released EV's & older ICE vehicles. Speaking only for myself I have learned the hard way to avoid the first year of any new vehicle. Even though the Equinox is being piggybacked on the GM corporate "skateboard" there are still a lot of "build" aspects that unfortunately will have to be sorted out by early owners initial experiences / issues. I would like to hear your thoughts about this topic and let's kick it around some.
Here's what I am thinking. We will learn about any early issues with the Ultium battery design with the Lyriq and Blazer EV's that will be released about one year before the Equinox. Plus I assume Honda must have done extensive testing on it before deciding to use it for their Prologue EV. Second, since there is no engine or transmission there won't be any problems there. My guess is there may be software issues that may be corrected over the air and minor body issues that will have to be fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I wouldn't assume the Prologue will be tested anymore that the blazer or Lyric. Consider it more of a hail mary pass to stay in the game. Also the Equinox is scheduled to start production only 3-6 months after the Blazer I believe. My expectations for the Equinox are that it will be an affordable alternative. Less quality, less HP, less range, less size and features than the Blazer. I like the styling of the Equinox better mind you but I am not expecting it will blow me out of the water. I expect to feel how I felt after test driving the ionic 5. Enjoying the look of the vehicle and drivability, but lacking in interior quality. At the end of the day it will be a stylish vehicle full of more affordable options which for most of the everyday will do just fine. I don't need 700hp and 16 speakers to get me to the grocery store and back.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My expectations is it will not be a leader in the field, but that it is a reliable vehicle and is a good SUV. I think it will good get good range, that the battery will charge well and last the 8 years or more.

The features tick off of all the boxes you look for in an All Electric vehicle.

To be honest, I have not purchased a lot of GM vehicles, but a number of them have been in the top in the quality ratings and my hope that quality, carries over to the Equinox.

I look forward to the first Drive reviews. For me it just has to do well, it does not have to be excellent for me to purchase it. If it does not do well and falls under the category, you get what you pay for, I will buy another vehicle.

·
Administrator
277 Posts
My first GM iss a first year 2011 Chevy Volt. 12+ years later I have spent less than $1000 in total maintenance. That averages to $83/year. GM had a battery safety recall that was free, fast.

My second GM is a 2017 Bolt EV. It got a new, free battery earlier this year with a new warranty and I went from 250 mile to now 300 to 330 miles.

So, I have two first year models, both have been essentially trouble free and I have found GM to be VERY proactive when it comes to a safety recall. That's why I'm looking at the Equinox as a replacement for my aging Volt.

The BIGGEST potential issue for any EV is battery replacement outside of warranty. The Ultium platform is designed with this in mind. If one of the Equinox's battery bricks goes bad it can be replaced even if the new brick is different chemistry or even different tech (looking at you solid state). So GM is thinking ahead to the benefit of people like me who keep cars a lot longer than average. Maybe other manufacturers are doing things along these lines but if they are, they aren't talking about it. Heck, Tesla is going the opposite direction. If you have a battery problem the whole freaking pack must be replaced. at mucho $$$$.

Another plus is GM using Ultium platform for every EV they are making from Hummer EV to Cadillac Lyriq to BrightDrop commercial delivery vans to ... EQ EV. That standardization means there will be a LOT and battery bricks available. Not quite AA standardization but a lot me in that direction. VW had a platform, now they have three different platforms, ugh.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I expect it to be bigger than my '19 Bolt was with better seats, at least as nice an interior and have faster DC charging. Given that it won't be the first ultium product I do not expect to face another battery recall.

I expect it to have fewer issues than my '20 Model Y and '22 Model 3. The Y in particular I don't want to own after the waranty expires. I'd consider replacing it with a new one if they hadn't jacked the price up so much and they weren't removing steering wheel stalks. I'm not going to get a car that I have to use a touch screen to shift into drive or reverse.

I expect it to be in high demand if GM sells it for anywhere near the price they are projecting. I expect most stealerships will slap markups on them initially.

I do NOT expect it to be widely available by 2024, but I'd love to be wrong on this.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I expect it to be bigger than my '19 Bolt was with better seats, at least as nice an interior and have faster DC charging. Given that it won't be the first ultium product I do not expect to face another battery recall.

I expect it to have fewer issues than my '20 Model Y and '22 Model 3. The Y in particular I don't want to own after the waranty expires. I'd consider replacing it with a new one if they hadn't jacked the price up so much and they weren't removing steering wheel stalks. I'm not going to get a car that I have to use a touch screen to shift into drive or reverse.

I expect it to be in high demand if GM sells it for anywhere near the price they are projecting. I expect most stealerships will slap markups on them initially.

I do NOT expect it to be widely available by 2024, but I'd love to be wrong on this.
Welcome @threeputts! If GM keeps the pricing at $30,000 to start there's going to be huge demand for sure. How has your Bolt been to own? What kinds of issues have you had to deal with for your Model Y and Model 3?

·
Registered
11 Posts
How has your Bolt been to own?
Great car. Good driving dynamics. Perfect for commuting and around town. Not for road trips unless you have the patience of Job. When presented the choice between selling it back to GM for more than I paid for it (thanks to the tax credit) or waiting who knows how long for a battery replacement, I sold it back.

What kinds of issues have you had to deal with for your Model Y and Model 3?
Y: Car computer replaced. Heat pump sensors replaced. Steering wheel control module replaced. Rear control arm tightened. 12 volt battery died w/o warning.
3: Connectivity board replaced. Cameras re-aligned.

All of these issues fixed quickly at no cost under waranty. My local service center is excellent.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
...The BIGGEST potential issue for any EV is battery replacement outside of warranty. The Ultium platform is designed with this in mind. If one of the Equinox's battery bricks goes bad it can be replaced even if the new brick is different chemistry or even different tech (looking at you solid state)...
While I agree with this statement I would suggest that the lowly 12 volt battery seems to be the real achilles for most of the EV's I've been keeping an eye on. If you develop a low voltage 12 volt battery condition you become dead in the water, and become the owner of a very expensive brick. For the life of me I don't understand why these manufacturers can't develop a 12 volt re-charging program that keeps these lead acid batteries fully charged, or better yet start using Lithium batteries with an equally good re-charging strategy.

·
Administrator
277 Posts
For the life of me I don't understand why these manufacturers can't develop a 12 volt re-charging program that keeps these lead acid batteries fully charged
The later Chevy Volt's do keep the 12v charged. My 2011 only does it while the car is actively charging. If the car is just plugged in, it ignores the 12v battery. GM addressed this with later models. I would expect the same with the new EV's. Do you know for a fact they do not, Chip?

·
Registered
21 Posts
What happens with the 12V lithium batteries in extreme cold? I haven't seen anyone testing that yet, but my question would be whether many of us north of the border might have issues with a lithium 12V in the dead of winter when ICE vehicles have trouble starting.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The later Chevy Volt's do keep the 12v charged. My 2011 only does it while the car is actively charging. If the car is just plugged in, it ignores the 12v battery. GM addressed this with later models. I would expect the same with the new EV's. Do you know for a fact they do not, Chip?
No knowledge about the Volt's, but the new Hyundai / KIA EV's are having a lot of problems as are / were the early Ford MME's and Tesla's with lead acid batteries.

·
Administrator
277 Posts
I think solid state batteries will be the next major shift, or at least that's what Toyota is banking on.
Sure, it's the holy grail of batteries since 1831. The question is when will they be in mass production for cars at an affordable cost? Toyota is aiming for 2025, but I'm not holding my breath. And others are working on solid state too, including LG A new solid state battery surprises the researchers who created it

Materials proposed for use as solid electrolytes in solid-state batteries include ceramics (e.g., oxides, sulfides, phosphates), and solid polymers. Solid-state batteries have found use in pacemakers, RFID and wearable devices. They are potentially safer, with higher energy densities, but at a much higher cost. Challenges to widespread adoption include energy and power density, durability, material costs, sensitivity and stability

·
Registered
21 Posts
There are still two giant hurdles with solid state. One people talk about, the next people don't. The former is the quick battery degradation which many are on the cusp of breaking. The second is a much larger problem. How to scale the materials needed to produce ss batteries that don't degrade solely with materials and techniques that can be mass produces in a cost effective way.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No knowledge about the Volt's, but the new Hyundai / KIA EV's are having a lot of problems as are / were the early Ford MME's and Tesla's with lead acid batteries.
Well this is timely... The KIA EV6 has the same issue. The guy is right the issue will be much worse in cold weather.

·
Administrator
277 Posts
Well this is timely... The KIA EV6 has the same issue. The guy is right the issue will be much worse in cold weather.
Again has not been an issue with my Volt or Bolt. GM's EV's have not had this issue. BUT, many Volt owner do get a small jump charge pack like in the video just like some carry a donut or full-sized spare tire. I don't carry a jump pack but I do keep a compact spare and jacks, chocks, etc. in the garage in case I have a local flat.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts